Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Am I weird or what? >

Am I weird or what?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Am I weird or what?

Old 12-03-2006, 09:45 AM

Default Am I weird or what?

New to compund bow shooting. Tried it at the Wild Turkey FederationWomen in the Outdoors Day. Did pretty well. Decided to buy one of my own. I am starting at 30 lbs. I am having a very hard time with drawing back with a release. No problem with my fingers! My husband thinks I am nuts, and his friends agree with him. ANY WISDOM PLEASE!!!!!
Old 12-03-2006, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Am I weird or what?

What type (brand) of release are you using?
Old 12-03-2006, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

What sort of a release are you using if it is a wrist strap style then try a hand held and see if that works better for you.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:59 AM

Tried Truefire around the wrist with trigger. It is easier than the one you grip. Still a big strain. It's very hard to get it over the break. I am trying to use both arms and not jerk it over. I am not sure what the name of the grip handle release was. I just gave it a try, but didn't help.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

Do you pull the trigger or release the trigger? On my Tru-Fire X-Caliper I have the option to do either, I pull the trigger. Try placing your index finger behind the trigger (I do this because I feel safer about it when I draw back) and with your thumb and index finger squeeze the body of the release as you draw back. When ready to fire simply bring your index finger around the trigger when you're ready to fire. Also, use a string loop.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think your just not used to the release yet...and since your new you might be a little scared of letting something else hold the string for you besides your fingers???? if you can pull with fingers but not with release just concentrate on using the same muscles that you use when pulling the string back with finger.

you can also
lower the poundage till you can pull back with a release to build your muscles or just use your fingers till your strong enuff to pull 30 with your release.

sometimes it can take a while to get the muscle strength when your new...i know guys that are wayyy stronger than me but cant pull 70 pound bow back...but i can...its just because ive been shooting since about 10 years old....and have the muscle trained to pull the string back...i think it is just an aukward motion if you are new.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

Old 12-03-2006, 10:19 AM

I keep ALL fingers behind the trigger. I don't even consider bringing a finger forward til I am set to shoot. I haven't used a loop before. I am wondering if I may need to shorten my drawlength. Feels like a strain with the release attached. I was thinking it may be making me stretch out past my ability.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

to check you Draw length just hold your arms out in front of you( dont lock your elbows,,just use a relaxed position) with your palms together and your fingers straight...measure with a tape from your finger tips to the center of your chest...that will give you a fairly close measure of what your draw should be mine is 27.5 but my bow's Draw is set at 28.5 beacause of how i anchor.....most people are the same way usually after they measure this way if they add an inch to it, thats where they are most comfortable with a bow.

also if you can "shorten the release" try that.
the trigger should be at your "middle Nuckle" to for most to be comfortable.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well if your hubby and all his friends, who know you think your nuts, who am I to argue.

Everything takes time and practise.

Quick Reply: Am I weird or what?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.