Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 string chub worn off >

string chub worn off

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

string chub worn off

Old 11-29-2006, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: string chub worn off

ORIGINAL: davs2601

OH I guess they are called string leeches...sorry to offend the bow hunting community
Sorry davs2601- I didn't mean to welcome you to the boards by flaming you, just never heard the term before. And BTW, welcome! Your question wasn't dumb at all, just a little confusing to me, but I'm easily confused Most string vibration dampeners do wear out or just plain fall off. I use simple cat whiskers, they seem to last forever, and do as good of a job as anything out there at keeping your bow quiet. They're cheap too! If you have questions, bring them on, no such thing as a stupid question (although I'm sure I've asked a few now and again!) Again, welcome to the boards.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

We were absolutely having some fun -- and I didn't even think about you taking it the wrong way... Sorry. Hang around here long enough, and there's enough serious banter that it kinda feels good to let your hair down every once in a while!

Now... What was the original question?
Old 11-29-2006, 09:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

OK, I had to go ahead and reply so I could go back and look at your question... [8D]

You say your chub is wearing because it's hitting the string... Isn't it ON the string? (Or IN it, as it were?) Or are you meaning coming on through after the shot and making contact with the cable (which is usually what causes wear on chubs )

Irrespective... if you've got four months of solid shooting during the summer months and leading up to the fall out of a chub, you're doing pretty good. Chubs have been known to not evenlast that long.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:32 AM
Typical Buck

Your right sorry about that, I had a rough day at work. I guess I just kinda vented on you guys. Im new to bow hunting and theres alot that I have to learn, it seems like when you ask a question in a pro shop you get stares from other like you are retarded. I thought I was getting the same here. I am truly sorry for being a jerk.

Yeah when I release the string the dampner hits the cable and one side is almost gone. The lower one shows no signs of wear, It just looked strange to me.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

there's enough serious banter that it kinda feels good to let your hair down every once in a while!
That is for those of us that still have some hair left

Best thing I would reccomend is that you replace them with a set of cats whiskers cut to about the size of a 1/2 dollar or a little larger
Old 11-30-2006, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was serious. I never heard the word chubs. But it was partly fun, too. Sorry you had a bad day at work. I quit having those days four years ago when I retired.

And by the way, you're allowed to vent, too. We hold no grudges.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:32 PM
Typical Buck

thanks for the info....again sorry about being too sensitive.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:23 PM
Site Bouncer

String chubs are standard on PSE and Browning Bows.......You know there are other bow brands out there becides Bowtech, Mathews and Hoyt

String Chubs

Nothing dampens string oscillation like soft Dynaflex rubber. These unique silencers deliver up to 90% reduction in string resonance, with minimal, if any, speed loss. One of the most effective string silencers made. 2-Pk included with this bow package. Comes installed in string and ready to shoot.

[align=center][/align]Anyway, Check to see where it's placed it might be hitting the bus cable right where it starts to "Y" out. Try sliding it up or down.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:48 PM
Typical Buck

davs2601, Welcome aboard!!! #1. You will have alot of fun and you wll learn alot here.
#2. You will see the way we treat each other on here. Lots and lots of fun ripping on each other, the important word there is fun!! Never take it personally.
#3 and most importantly. Never ever think that a question you have is stupid. If you don't know something and feel the need to ask, by all means do it. Remember, we all started hunting at one time in our lives and we all had to learn somehow. There are alot of years of experience on here and alot of really helpful people who love nothing more than helping each other out. So never fail to ask for help.

Now, the string chub thing!! When I read that, I just figured that was that thing that us guys get when receive our new string from Gibblet in the mail and open the envelope and see it for the first time.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Proff

Now, the string chub thing!! When I read that, I just figured that was that thing that us guys get when receive our new string from Gibblet in the mail and open the envelope and see it for the first time.
LOL! Maybe I should stick to Winner's Choice or my wife might get seriously upset! Regarding the dampners hitting the cable, I'd think that if you have that problem with "chubs" you may have it with any kind of dampner, including cat whiskers. A couple things you may want to try, and please chime in if someone thinks I'm out to lunch here... Placement of the dampners on the string might be part of the problem, maybe move them closer to the cams? Is the cable guard adjustable? Maybe rotating it so the cables are further away from the string is possible (this is probably the first thing I would check.) If you can't do that, maybe replacing the slide on the cable guard will do it? Ask someone at your pro shop if they think either of those suggestions might help. Also, there are other things that can be done, but now you're into really changing the bow a bit. Installing a STS could do the trick. You wouldn't need dampners any more, and the string would stop at the same rest position it was in without continuing further to the riser. There are also some aftermarket cable guards that might help (i.e. windstalker, etc.) I'm thinking you may have more problems than you think describing how the dampners are wearing. Are your fletchings getting torn up or are you getting black marks on the edges? If your cable and strings are so close together, I'd almost bet you had some sort of fletching contact too. That will reduce the accuracy of your bow. I have that problem, my solution is rotating the nocks so the cockvane is at a 45 degree angle towards the string so the lower one doesn't make contact. I am FAR from being an expert here, but just throwing some ideas out to you and also checking to see if the fine folks on this forum might agree with any of them.

Quick Reply: string chub worn off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.