Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

string loops

Old 11-29-2006, 08:11 PM

Default RE: string loops

i use cut my string at 4 3/4 to 5 inches max i hvent had to use any nocks tie ins or extra knots to keep things in plce a properly tied knot will not slip up and down the string and if it is tied over nylon serving then it will spin after you tie the loop tighten by using the ends of a needle nose pliar between the loop and bow string this will lock it down tight
Old 11-30-2006, 03:07 AM
Site Bouncer

I start out with a 4 3/4 in piece of loop material. I have found that Allen makes a great string loop material, it burns good, does not stretch and holds it's shape very well.

After I cut my loop to length I burn both ends into a nice big melted ball. I like to do this off of the bow as it gives me more control of the melt. If the flame is too close it will burn the end leaving a burnt charred like appearance. This is not good as it will make the end weak and could break. The end should melt but never catch fire.

Next I locate my nock position and tie in my first nock set. I tie the nock just like you would any knot but instead of a complete knot I only tie half, then wrap the serving material around the bow string and tie again. I repeat this till I have done it 5 times (you can do more of less) the last knot is a full square not to keep it in place. I cut the ends and ment into place.

I then slip on an arrow nock to give me my proper spacing and tie the second nock set. Once that is done I am ready to tie on the loop. This is a little difficult especially if you have big hands like me, but if I can do it anybody can.

I tie the first knot on the outside of my tied on nock and pull it as tight as I can. I do this by wrapping the loop material around a screwdriver and pull (like a "T" Handle), I then lay theuntied end down on the string over my second tied on nock. I tie the second knot. This one will be difficult because there is not alot of material to work with, you will end up pushing the melted ball through the knot. Take your time and don't get frustrated.

After it's tied you will have no loop to speak of but after you pull it some it will take shape. I use a pair of needle nose pliers to spread the loop and get it tight. After that I knock an arrow, attach my release and pull. I don't pull it all the way into the let off because I want as much weight to cinch the knot. Make sure you are pointing your bow in a safe direction.

It's important to make sure you tie your string loop in opposite directions so the melted balls are on opposite sides of the string.

When done it will look like this:

As you can see there is just enough room to put my release on once an arrow is nocked.

Good luck and remember it will take time to get that second knot tied on but this way you will be assured a nice small loop.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:20 AM
Site Bouncer

This is what it looks like with the release attached:

Old 11-30-2006, 06:11 PM

Good informative post BigJ12. Appreciate everyones replies as they were a big help.
Reading some other info regarding tying string loops, it stated that you should wax the loop string first, then once you have it tied into place, apply some more wax to the knots and then heat it up so that the wax melts into the knots. That this would help prevent the knots from sliding. I did it like this but I notice that the knot slides up and down the string quite easily. Is this from the wax or maybe I just don't have it tight enough yet?? Got it tied on no problem, and just like you said, the melted ends of the loop string are on opposite sides of the bow string. Also, I read that starting about 1/8th of an inch above center is a good place to start. So, I marked 1/8" above center and used that as a reference to where my knock would go. Is that about right??

I also picked up a brand new release, a Scotts Lil Goose, specifically for going to this string loop.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:55 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: animalized

Good informative post BigJ12. Appreciate everyones replies as they were a big help.
Reading some other info regarding tying string loops, it stated that you should wax the loop string first, then once you have it tied into place, apply some more wax to the knots and then heat it up so that the wax melts into the knots. That this would help prevent the knots from sliding. I did it like this but I notice that the knot slides up and down the string quite easily. Is this from the wax or maybe I just don't have it tight enough yet?? Got it tied on no problem, and just like you said, the melted ends of the loop string are on opposite sides of the bow string. Also, I read that starting about 1/8th of an inch above center is a good place to start. So, I marked 1/8" above center and used that as a reference to where my knock would go. Is that about right??

I also picked up a brand new release, a Scotts Lil Goose, specifically for going to this string loop.
I don't wax the loop until it's on and tight, If you tied in two nock sets then there is no where for the loop to go. That's the main reason why I do it like that. The other reason is when I draw, the release is directly behind my arrow. If you only have one nock then you will notice the release will not be behind the arrow but off set a little.

Starting 1/8 above center is fine, you will probably need to adjust your restwhen you tune so that may change. I use a Whisker Biscuit so I start with my nock level.