Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

string loops

Old 11-28-2006, 11:25 AM

Default string loops

I thought I had seen this already mentioned somewhere but for the life of me, I can't find it.

Anyway, I'm in the process of setting up one of my bows to start practicing with a string loop and was just wondering, is there a "prefered" length of rope to start off with before tying? Just wondering what the majority of the string loop shooters cut there lengths at, especially if they buy there rope by the foot??

I have a couple that are 4 inch, is that good or maybe too long??

Also, I noticed that some put a brass nokset just above the bottom knot and some tie on below the bottom knot and above the top knot. Which would be better or do you suggest neither of these??

Thanks everyone..
Old 11-28-2006, 12:20 PM

Default RE: string loops

My loops are just shy of 6" before I start melting the ends into a big ball. I try to keep them as short as possible but that will depend on your set-up. There should not be a nockset inside of the knots, it causes pinch on the arrow and partially defeats the purpose of the loop. If you do put on a nockset, or extra serving (which I prefer) I would put it above the top knot.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:13 PM
Typical Buck

I wouldnt use a brass nock set but i do use tie on nocks between the loop ends. I tie four wraps on top and ten below the arrow nock. I also leave about a 1/32 inch of space between the arrow nock and the tie nocks so that it keeps them from pinching the arrow. Plus also by doing this it puts your release just under center of the arrow nock and this helps to keep a moderate downward pressure on the arrow rest to keep the arrow from lifting off rest if a side wind is blowing on your arrow.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:27 AM

i start w/ a long piece, tie one knot, then tie the other - mark my cut off pt, cut the rope, untie it, burn it, tie and tighten it.

as to tied in nocking pts, i had that conversation w/ larry wisewhen he was shooting a hoyt wheelie. he had in 1 tied in pt inside the loop, but different than the way i had my single cam set up. i asked him about it basically, and he said if he was shooting a single cam he'd have it done the same way i did, that different cam systems will like the tied in pt either above or below the nock, depending. i don't remember which is which, so experiment and see which your bow likes.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:35 AM

Okay, thanks for the replies.

Couple questions about all this. Archer 2, where you mention using tie on nocks, what do you use, just a normal thread or something? Also, where you say you use 4 wraps above the nock and 10 below, how do you tie them? I know how to do a serving but just wondering how you would fasten something with as little as 4 wraps.

Thanks again.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Once you have shot several arrow with a loop you shouldn't need to serve or use a nock to keep it from moving. They aren't moving if you tied it right (trust me, I have tried moving them, and they don't).

My biggest problem is that they stretch and the loop becomes longer. Even when I tie them with just enough room to get my caliper jaw in, they still stretch. I replace my loop every so often when they get too long. Might have to look at a loop material that doesn't stretch as much.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:54 AM

ORIGINAL: animalized

Okay, thanks for the replies.

Couple questions about all this. Archer 2, where you mention using tie on nocks, what do you use, just a normal thread or something? Also, where you say you use 4 wraps above the nock and 10 below, how do you tie them? I know how to do a serving but just wondering how you would fasten something with as little as 4 wraps.

Thanks again.
Serving thread tied with opposing half hitches; half hitch on one side then bring the tag ends around and tie another half hitch on the other side and keep doing this until you have as many as you want. As Grizzlyman says, they aren't really necessary, a properly tied loop isn't going to move.

There was a good "Tech Talk" session on string loops by Randy Ulmer on Bowhunter TV this week.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

Ijust bought some strings to do this also should I keep the upper Brass ringand use the lower rubber donut to support the lower knot or add an additional brass ring to support the lower knot???
Thanks
Old 11-29-2006, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ijust bought some strings to do this also should I keep the upper Brass ringand use the lower rubber donut to support the lower knot or add an additional brass ring to support the lower knot???
No I would mark the string where the brass nock is then take it off and tie the top of the loop to where the brass nock is as for the "rubber donut"just slide it down the the serving near the cam or carefully cut it off.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

If you dont have the tie nocks inbetween the loops no matter how well tied you think you have your loops they will pull together and pinch your nocks. For the tie nock sets I just use .021 or .025 serving thread and do the half hitch knots. When you have done the last half hitch you make one more tie right on top of your last half hitch knot and that will lock it in , then you burn the ends off and and smooth it down while it is still warm and pliable.

Quick Reply: string loops

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.