Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How much KE is enough? >

How much KE is enough?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How much KE is enough?

Old 11-28-2006, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default How much KE is enough?

Since this bow season is over for me, and my old reserve of arrows is about used up, I'm thinking of a little different setup for next year.
In so doing, I've been playing around with the front-of-center and (KE) kinetic energy of different setups.
One reason for a possible change is, I've been shooting ACC's, but they are down right expensive, so I may change to a less expensive arrow.
What do you think would be the average KE?
My present KE comes in at arount 56 ft/lbs, but my proposed new setup will come in around 70 ft/lbs, but I will sacrifice a little speed for a heavier arrow.
Back to the original question; what is a good KE, or what would be average?
Or, do you know what yours is?

Old 11-28-2006, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How much KE is enough?

Over on www.bowsite .com there is a pretty good article about this. Down in the right hnad corner of the big game forums look for "Penetration, much ado about nothing".

What are you hunting? Whitetails? My setups routinely only produce 39 to 50 lbs/ft of energy and it's more than needed. The only time I don't get a pass through is when the offside shoulder bone gets in the way.

As for changing from ACC's? That's another issue. I've shot a lot of the different carbons and when comparing apples to apples (quality) the ACC's are not that much more expensive. If you like the ACC style arrow you can get a less expensive version made by Blackhawk (Owned by Gold Tip). They usually run about $85 a dozen. I haven't used them so can't comment on the quality, but it can't be any worse than decent AC arrows within the same price range.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

Actually, if I totally change my setup, I was going to go with aluminum XX75's. I know that is a big change, but that is another story.
I really like my setup with the ACC's, but they are expensive.
As for KE, obviously they produce plenty. I too always get a pass through. On this year's buck I smashed through a rib on entry and went between on exit, and my arrow was sticking in the ground on the other side. I always like seeing that. Good broadheads probably rank higher in importance than arrow quality, since most arrows these days are of decent quality.
Well, I'll take a look at Blackhawks, but I may just try buying a half dozen ACC's. If I'm careful in practice, they should all be around for hunting time next year, and on most clean pass throughs, they don't get damaged.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

If you check out goldtip arrow web site there is a KE calculator on there that you enter arrow weight, arrow speed and it will give you the K.E.
For deer they are suggesting 40 ft. lbs as the minimum KE.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, they have to go way overboard on KE recommendations because carbon arrows are so light. The heavier you go on arrow weight, the less you have to worry about KE.

Heck, before carbon arrows,nobody in the archery worldeven knew what KE was.[8D] Now everyone's gone anal over it. In exactly the same way the gun world caught 'magnumitis', archershave gottenate up with speed and KE. [&:]

Look. Arecurve drawing 40-45 pounds and a cedar arrowwith a sharp cut-to-tip broadhead was plenty for killing deer when I was coming up, and I guarantee there wasn't any 40 ft lbs of KE with that kind of setup. More like 25-30 ft/lbs. Another thing I can guarantee... deer aren't onewhit tougher today than they were 45 years ago.

Light arrows need more KE to do the same joba heavier one can do. A broadhead with a punch through tip needs more KE to do the same jobthan a cut-to-tip head does. A mechanical broadhead needs a LOT more KE to do the same job.

So, how much KE is enough? I dunno! Depends on your arrow weight and broadhead type, not to mention the size game you intend to hunt with it and how far you intend to shoot.

Rule of thumb: The less KE your bow delivers and/or the bigger and tougher game you intend to hunt, the heavier you want to go on arrow weight and the more you want to leantoward cut-to-tip broadheads. Also, you need to be limiting your shots to shorter and shorter distances the lower you go on KE. The closer the shot, the more energy the arrow retains when it gets to the target.

Another rule of thumb: Any KE recommendation that doesn't include all the variables is a load of male bovine dung.

Old 11-28-2006, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

Pastorhunter,
Have you thought about giving the FMJ's a try. I heard they are cheaper than ACC's but are still a really good arrow. I am thinking about going to them for field shooting since they would pull from targets a whole lot easier.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Arthur,

For the most part I have to agree with you whole heartedly. Especially about KE being a fairly recent mania. Afterall, it's only a number produced by mutlipolying and dividing. It has nothing at all to do with hunting.

As you siad, we didn't even know the word 30 years ago.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are deer and then there are deer. A big old rutted up buck from the north is a beast you need some and some more to put him down and find. He ain't yours until you find him. In other words, know your game.A deflection off a rib bone sending the shaft south can happen making him hard to find. Bigger deer, bigger bones.

I used the 340 beman ics hunter *elites* this year with a 100 thunderhead and 3, 4" savage duravanes. They worked well although I lost 2, arrows that is, one on one of them bucks from the north. You can get the shafts for under 80. The savage vanes were a big improvement over the standard vane. I was thankful for the holes the thunderheads made.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:34 AM

People get way too worried about such things as KE and arrow speed. For the most part, they are meaningless variables. Set up your bow to send a correctly spined arrow with a lot of weight up front, in a straight line, and you'll probably kill what you're shooting at.

A buddy of mine just got back from a buffalo (bison) hunt. He took a 1300 lb bull, shooting a 58 lb compound and a 600+ grain arrow. It took 2 shots to bring it down. Both were complete passthroughs in the ribcage. He wasn't worried about arrow speed and I'll guarantee you he has no clue what KE is. He knows how to take down large animals and what makes a good hunting arrow.

Another rule of thumb: Any KE recommendation that doesn't include all the variables is a load of male bovine dung.
I love it!
Old 11-30-2006, 05:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

A buddy of mine just got back from a buffalo (bison) hunt. He took a 1300 lb bull, shooting a 58 lb compound and a 600+ grain arrow. It took 2 shots to bring it down. Both were complete passthroughs in the ribcage. He wasn't worried about arrow speed and I'll guarantee you he has no clue what KE is. He knows how to take down large animals and what makes a good hunting arrow.
So he's no where near your average Joe. What about theaverage Joes that make up most of the hunting industry, how much help do they need?I'd say speed would be a big advantagefor them on smaller more reactive animals like a whitetail.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.