Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New Bow Advise

Old 11-28-2006, 06:57 AM

Default New Bow Advise

Last year the funds just weren’t there to get a new bow setup.
This spring I will defiantly have enough. I’ve narrowed it down to two bows that feel really good.
Diamond Liberty 33ATA / 7-5/8” Brace Single Cam
Bowtech Tomkat 32ATA / 8-1/2” Brace Binary Cam
I haven’t tried any Hoyt’s/RefleX’s yet as the closest dealer is 30 min away but would like to before I make my final decision.

I’m not going to pillage the accessories from my old bow as I’ll keep it for stand-by so I’m also looking for advice on sights/rests
Any of you guys tried both and like one better than the other?
I’m sure I’ll be happy with either bow (saying I don’t find a Hoyt I really like) but am torn between the two.
Also any advice on sights/rests is appreciated as I haven’t looked into those much.
I was thinking CJ dead nuts and some sort of fall away rest
Thanks for any help.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:44 AM

Default RE: New Bow Advise

ive shot all the latest bows and its a good thing u didnt have cash last year because the hoyt vectrix is awesome ! i went with the viper predator pro sight with dovetail and the qad ultra rest pro drop away. just make sure yo shoot all the bows ur interested in before you buy because if you are like me i will use my bow for about 5 years before i replace it again.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:35 AM

I haven't shot either bow. But of the two choices I would go with the Tomkat just because of the binary cams. As far as rest goes I use a ripcord dropaway and love it. Don't worry the arrow cannot fall off of it while hunting. It has a piece above the prongs that makes the arrow fully contained. This is most peoples reason for using a WB. Well that excuse doesn't hold water anymore. And sights, well it all depends on your preference really. I shoot Extreme Rt900's and I love them. They use .019 FO pins and have a small sight window(that I really like) and they come in black or camo. Whilewe are on the subject I would strongly suggest using a Meta Peep these are super lightweight and much better than astring peep. Good Luck with your new bow, hope you enjoy.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:28 PM

Not only are the cams better on the TomKat but I believe the strings and cables are a step up as well, but get that one that feels and shoots best for you.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Strings and cables are all made in-house, whether it's for the Bowtechs or the Diamonds... (and I'd put them up against absolutely ANY aftermarket string).

I'd still agree with Kodiak, though: I too would choose the Tomkat. It's probably one of Bowtech's best-kept secrets -- especially at its price point. A near nine-inch brace height which still launches arrows at up to 315 fps?!? Incredible! It just may be the closest-to-perfect hunting bow out there.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree. That Tomkat is one sweet looking bow. I just HATE the looks of that rubber grip though LOL [:'(].

I like the speed, short ATA, and huge brace height. It looks like a great treestand bow.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Agreed on the grip... but you can order the wood grips from any Bowtech dealer.