Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 time to pick a broadhead >

time to pick a broadhead

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

time to pick a broadhead

Old 11-26-2006, 09:29 AM

Default RE: time to pick a broadhead

thanks guys, ill look into theese. my biggest concern is accuracy, im sure they all will make a kill as long as i can put the shot where i want it.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:35 AM

I've shot the Slick Tricks this year for turkeys and deer and I'm going back to my Muzzys. The steeper blade angle of the Slicks don't penetrate heavy bone like the Muzzys will with my 60 pound bow. It could also be that the Slicks don't have as large a trocar tip as the Muzzys. I've been shooting the 100 grain 4 blade Muzzys in the past but the wife has been getting excellent results with the 100 grain 3 blade with her 55/26 inch Equalizer on deer and turkeys.

I made a moderately high shoulder shot on my quartering to buck this season and it put him down in his tracks and the follow up shot put him down to stay. The Slick did the job but I'm sure the Muzzy would have had better penetration as I did a post mortum inspection of the actual penetration I did get. I think the longer and larger trocar tip of the Muzzy does a better job on hits like this hunters get sometimes when the targetdecides to move when you don't want it to. I also can't help to think that the steeper blade angles of the Slick impede penetration as compared to the old school Muzzys in bone. I'm not wanting to break bones if I can shoot around them but it's great confidence knowing the head is up to the job if one goes there.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:29 PM

Three blade Muzzy's or Thunderheads all the way. I would get the 100 grain models. They're tried and true and can't be beaten.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:24 PM
Fork Horn

90 Grain Muzzy 4-Blades and the 100 Grain Muzzy 3 Blades are a nice set of heads. I've only used Muzzy and have never been disappointed. Very accurate and hit hard and clean.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't try to keep up with all the innovations anymore because there isn't really anything that new that fizzles my innards. Broadheads are broadheads. They all do the same thing in general. I do look for some attributes though.

Blade retention is high on my list. In this department I like Slick Tricks, Innerloc, and Muzzy's. Blade thickness and strength is another. Recently some are made with an all steel ferrule--very good idea.

It's just another aspect of archery that has been saturated to death and the average guy can't really make an objective decision because he can't afford to buy them all for comparison.. Maybe if you do a search there is a guy on here called 5shot that does a lot of testing and reporting on his "objective" testing.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:48 AM

i agree , im sure they will all kill a deer using my 30 inch 70 pound vectrix. my only concern is geting a really good accurate flyer and like you said i dont want to buy a bunch and try them, i want to buy one set only. everyone pretty much likes the muzzy so i think they will work and im thinking a 3 blade to have a better chance of pass through shots (if i ever see a deer lol)
Old 11-28-2006, 12:16 PM

I use Magnus Stingers. They are cut on contact. They are guaranteed to spin. They are guaranteed for life. They come razor sharp. They are very accurate. I can keep 3 arrows on one dot of the Block at 40 yards.

I have killed 2 deer with them this year, one was a nice, big bodied Kansas 8 point. Both deer were easily passthroughs, actually buried in the dirt. The longest trail was all of 60 yards.

Did I mention the lifetime guarantee? No other company makes this nice of a broadhead, and backs it up. I feel these are the ultimate broadhead on the market.

Give them a try, you will not regret it.

jmac_or