Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 time to pick a broadhead >

time to pick a broadhead

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

time to pick a broadhead

Old 11-25-2006, 04:48 PM

Default time to pick a broadhead

can i get a few opinions to choose from on which broadheads i should try (fixed ) and why? it will be for deer using a 70 pound 30 inch draw vectrix and carbon maxum hunter arrows
Old 11-25-2006, 06:29 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: time to pick a broadhead

The sharpest broadhead that I've bought so far is the G5 Striker. It flies really well (same point of impact of field points) and super accurate. After shooting it into a block target twice it is still sticky sharp! Haven't wacked a deer with it yet but have no doubts as to how affective it is.
I use Magnus Stingers on my crossbow because of its reputation for toughness. No kills with it either.
This is the first year for not using Wasps which have been 100% affective.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:37 PM

DNK mentions a good head, but I honestly think the Magnus Stinger is the best out there. They fly like darts right out of the package, scary sharp, and get this...I shot a doe w/ one earlier in the season, busted the Stinger all to hell, and they replaced it! No questions, no charge.

They are also very simple to resharpen. I use an AccuSharp hand sharpener then run them across a ceramic steel...Good as new.

I'm shooting a 29" ACC from a 30" draw, 71 # UltraTec, flying right at 290....Lazer beams I tell ya....lazer beams.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dont worry to much about heads, any sharp razor head to the boiler room will bring them down. I shoot the cheapest mech. and have had no problems.
Pick one and shoot it well.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:32 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

Dont worry to much about heads, any sharp razor head to the boiler room will bring them down. I shoot the cheapest mech. and have had no problems.
I think you are pretty much right but I tried the Wasp Sharp Shooter this summer. It was really sharp out of the package but couldn't get consistant accuracy from it.
I agree with mobowhuntr, the Stingers are really accurate.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any Muzzy 3 blade fixed(replacable blade)will do... just match the grain to your field tips....
you can buy them in 6packs...use 2 to sight in and the other 4 to hunt with...also comes with one set of practice blades so you will have 3 to shoot while sighting in....as long asyou can shoot groups with them (if you cant somethings not right with your arrow....Spine, insert, or Fletching???) just sight in at 20-25 and leave it be....i picked up the 6 pack for 27$$ at my local gun store...but seen them at Farm and Fleet for 35$ so i think i got a deal...killed a doe and a 8point this year with them...pass throu on the doe, she went 20 one way and came back another 20 yards and died under my stand....the buck got hit throu the heart but it wasnt a pass throu...the blood started coming out of him instantly...he went 80 yard and laid down in the middle of a beanfield...

i shot mechanicals last year to try them...but have since decided they are useless IMO. save yourhard earnedmoney get the Muzzy and you will have a failproof arrow to kill deer with no worries....
they arefairly sharp out of the package(sharp enuff to kill anything on earth)...but i always doctor mine up for good measure...
Old 11-25-2006, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dnk

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

I think you are pretty much right but I tried the Wasp Sharp Shooter this summer. It was really sharp out of the package but couldn't get consistant accuracy from it.
I agree with mobowhuntr, the Stingers are really accurate.
I was using the wasp jackhammers and they flew perfect, spot on with points. I purchased some eastman outfitters from walmart last year and took 3 deer, took 2 more this year. $9 for 3. They fly awsome.The blades are a little weak and have bent 2 times, but still made complete pass throughs, deer didnt go far at all. For deer they are fine, dont think I use them on hogs or bigger game though. They do have some now that are cut on contact for $14 for 3
Old 11-25-2006, 10:09 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Not conclusive whatsoever but interesting. There will be more coming.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1818006
Old 11-25-2006, 10:50 PM
Fork Horn

I use Muzzy 3 blade 100 grains broadheads. I have killed one deer this year with one, but it was a spinal shot, so the deer dropped instantly as the Muzzy cut right through at about 25 yards or so. I buy mine off of Ebay and usually get a great deal if I'm persistent enough. My last bid of $27 got 6 of them delivered to me, which is a great price. As far as economy goes, Muzzy's are the only broadhead that I can find on the cheap that is reputable. I have about a dozen of them now, so I'll probably never switch brands at this point.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:57 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot the Slick Trick 100gr 1 1\8 mags. and love them!!! They fly like darts super sharp and make a monster hole. They are kind of hard to come by at times but for the price around $22 for 3 they are hard to beat.

Quick Reply: time to pick a broadhead

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.