Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
So why don't you guys like Mathews? >

So why don't you guys like Mathews?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

So why don't you guys like Mathews?

Old 11-19-2002, 10:30 AM

Default So why don't you guys like Mathews?

I've been shooting an old Browning (95 model) since I bought it new and will be buying a new bow in the next few months. The only new bow that I have shot is a Q2. I loved it compared to my dinosaur. This forum has been extremely helpful in helping me find out what is out there and if it is any good. I know Mathews gets good reviews and the friends I know that have them think they are great. So what is the matter with them? Quality, speed, accuracy, the company PR, etc... It just seems to me that some of you don't like them. I was just wondering why I should or shouldn’t consider them for my new bow. Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 11-19-2002, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: So why don't you guys like Mathews?

Several things I don't like. Price being #1. Of course many comapnies are way overpriced. Lack of adjustablity is another. Should you buy one make sure you get the right draw for yourself. DO NOT rely on what the sticker says on the limb. Most draw about an inch longer than they are marked. Mathews has this thing about not having much adjustment for draw built into their cams, such as the use of drawlength modules. If you screw up and want to change your draw later, by as much as 1/2" or more you have to buy a new cam and rigging. This seems a little short sighted for a company that is one of the leaders in the industry. Or maybe it's a way of reaping (raping) extra profits.
A few people I know have changed from Mathews to Hoyt, gaining speed ans accuracy. And they don't care what things cost. They just get what they want.

Old 11-19-2002, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

I don't think there is a one of us who would tell you they are not fabulous bows. I suppose my only grudge against Mathews isn't against Mathews at all, just with a few of their owners. We are all proud of our bows in one way or another, but it seems that some of the Mathews boyz just love to let you know that their bows are the best out there. That sentiment is very hard for me to swallow with all the technology out there today, and dang near all the top of the line bows being so much alike you can only tell the difference by the sticker on it.

I will also be the first to admit that there are is probably a little petty jealousy involved as well, with them being so expensive and difficult to afford for some.

Mathews generally does lead the pack when it comes to breakout ideas, but as far as I can see, there isn't too many other places to go anymore.

Just my two cents.

Chad

Edited by - oregonhunter on 11/19/2002 14:40:18
Old 11-19-2002, 10:49 AM

I like them but I would like them more if the cam had modules to change draw lengths with, had timing marks on the cam, were faster and had a slim 2 piece side plate style grip.
Old 11-19-2002, 10:49 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-19-2002, 11:51 AM

Love my mathews. Remember, all bows are "good" bows. Some better than others. A guy can kill a deer with a $100 Walmart bow just as quick as a guy with a $700 bow. You have to see what one YOU like, then see what one your wife will let you buy. You will hear many points of view on this subject, with certian people believing their XX brand has to be the best for everyone. If this were true we would only have one brand of bows, one make of cars, one choice of TV's......get the point? Each person has to decide on what their income can support, how much time they plan on shooting, what they want to use the bow for, etc. Thats why I drive an old scratched up 4X4 while my neighbor has a $40,000 suv that will never see a dirt road.

Go to your local shop, shoot a few bows. If the $300 bow works for you by all means buy it, if you just have to have the $700 bow, well go have a talk with the queen of the house.

AH
Old 11-19-2002, 11:53 AM

when I was looking to replace my old bow , I shot everything out there. I liked mathews but the price for quality was not there, and adjustability sucks. I do not like paying for a manufacture`s advertising in their product either, I just want the best bow for the money. everybody who shoots a mathews will not shoot another bow because they believe it is the best and I beg the differance. I relate it to nike shoes, since mike wears them they must be the best, but it is not the shoes but the person. I finally decided on a buckmaster G2 and I just love it, I could of gotten anything I wanted at wholesale but I really liked the g2 and all the features it came with and a good price to boot

Evan
Archery Accessories
301-872-0110
Old 11-19-2002, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

The q2 is an excelent bow all manufactures have pluses and minuses I'll and to walk's with a gimps list winners choice strings and dual cams [that will never happen with their 2 cams are dead ad } maybe they will copy darton and call the cps system a one cam or something like that , looks like thats the trend .

If information provided by the members of this board have helped you please let us know .
Old 11-19-2002, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never understood why they went away from drawlength adjustability. My older Z-light has 1" of adjustability (I think). It has three post on each side of the cam for the adjustment. I would have a hard time buying a draw length specific bow because it would really cut down on the amount of possible buyers if you wanted to get rid of it not to mention fine tuning the draw length.

Old 11-19-2002, 12:17 PM

Not all of us dislike Mathews. I don't shoot one, but I think they make a very fine bow. As for price, there is always something cheaper, if cheaper is what you want, then go buy it. They do not make a bow for the low-end market like many bow companies. Around here, their bows sell for between $400 and $600. Right in the ball park with the top of the line bows from many companies and cheaper than those from a couple.

You may hear of a few problems with Mathews bows, but when you think about it, since they sell 10 times as many bows as some of these companies, that's to be expected.

Quick Reply: So why don't you guys like Mathews?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.