Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow problem

Old 10-29-2006, 08:53 PM

Default Bow problem

Got a big problem with my bow. I've been shooting a Switchback for 2 years. Love it. Out of the blue last week my bow started shooting high 6 inches. I look the bow over and can't find anything. Try different arrows. Same result so I raise my sight. Everything is good. A few days later I'm shooting and it's shooting 6 inches low so I lower my sight. Everything is good. Today it's shooting 6 inches high again.

I'm at a loss...especially since it's the last two weeks of bow season. Every bolt is tight. Nothing looks bent. No damage that I can see. I haven't done anything to this bow. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:23 PM

Default RE: Bow problem

If your form is good and you are a consistent shooter, it could be string stretch from the stock mathews strings. If you got custom strings then I would look elsewhere.

Your nock point isnt changing is it?
Are you anchoring at the same spot every shot?

Also was it a consistent shooter over the previous two years you've owned it?
Old 10-29-2006, 11:05 PM

It sounds like the loop is moving up and down. Or to put it another way, the nock point is inconsistant.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:36 AM

My first question would be is your center serving starting to seperate at any point? If not then you said you have had this bow for 2 years. Your strings should be stretched by now. How much do you shoot throughout the year? Have you had the string replaced since you owned the bow. If not I might guess you may have some broken fibers in your string and your string might be starting to fail. If you haven't had your strings and cables replace since you got the bow I would. I usually replace my string every year and my cables every 2 years. And trust me it is worth the extra money to by a high quality set of strings and cables.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:35 AM

Serving appears to be OK. Loop is OK also. It is the original zebra string. I usually get 2 years out of a string. I can't imagine it's string stretch after 2 years. Oh well. What a time to have to get a new string/cables. I guess I'll try Winners Choice. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

it sounds like your nocking is not tight thats why its always messed up just take it to an archey shop and they will make it right
Old 11-01-2006, 05:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

On a zebra string I would not be at all surprised if it was string stretch.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:35 PM

If you are using a loop, check for nock pinch.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK, I'll diverge and disagree with everybody. I don't think it's your nocking point (string loop) nor is it string creep. You're shooting high one day and low the next, then high another day. Strings and nocking points just don't move around like this. If they did the POI would change, but in one direction. It would only go in one direction, not up one day and down the next.

I would suggest that it is your shooting form. Maybe you're just anchoring slightly higher or lower on any given day. That's my opinion and I'm sticking by it.

Do yourself a favor the next time you change strings and do not use Zebra's. Get hold of Gibblet and he'll make you a set better than Zebra and at about the same cost or maybe even a touch less.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is your arrow rest secured very, very well? I had a friend that had the same problem and his arrow rest just fell off of his bow one day. Make sure your rest and sights are tightened down really, really well! I haven't let my friend live that one down since!

Quick Reply: Bow problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.