Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

9/32 inch peep?

Old 10-29-2006, 06:24 PM

Default 9/32 inch peep?

Alright my dilemma is that I cannot find a peep that will align correctly with my front sight at full draw. My draw lengthis 27" and when I am anchored, I can see the rubber tube which blocks the top part of my circular view. I vaguely remember someone at a local bow shop telling me that because of my shorter draw, I need a peep sight designed with an "EXTREME ANGLE" to accomodate it, and that that would eliminate the problem with the rubber tube blocking my view. What truth is there to this?

For right now I am using a 1/4 inch peep that I drilled out to 17/64. It was still too small so I tried to drill it out another 1/64to be 9/32 which then broke thru to the string.Another problem I'm having is that when I am anchored I see more of an oval than a perfect circle. What if anything can I do about this?

Is there a peep designed so I don't see the oval or the rubber tube when I'm anchored? Like in the thread title, 9/32 or perhaps maybe even 5/16 would be perfect. THANKS...
Old 10-30-2006, 02:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 9/32 inch peep?

you just need to put an extra half twist to yourstring so the peep will line up right
a good tech guy should have known this

it dont have nothing to do with your draw length
a half of twist out or in should do the trick

If I had the bow I could fix it where the peep will come in perfect rotation without the rubber tube but then any good tech can do the same unfortunately some people know more about selling archery equipment than they actually know about working on it.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I should have said know how to run off at the mouth because this crackhead obviously had no clue what he was talking about which leads me to a question for you

why do you want such a gaping hole to peep thru?
you dont want to stick your head thruthe holejust peep thru it.

you can get aTRU Peep this way you see the whole circle and not an elongated orfootball shaped hole but you aint going to find one in that big of a hole pattern

Tru Peeps dont use Rubber tube either so you will need someone who knows how to properly set and tie ina peep so it will rotate in the right position when you draw the bow.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep. The absolute best way to keep from seeing the rubber tube is to not use a rubber tube at all.

Your short draw is not setting you up for severe string angle. If anything, it's just the opposite. String angle is determined by draw length and bow length. The lower that ratio, the more acute the string angle. Because of my draw length/bow length ratio (31 3/4" draw, bow length 36" for a 1:1.13 ratio), and the distance from my nock point to the peep location, my peep winds up about 8" out in front of my eye at full draw. I went to a G5 Meta peep with a quarter inch hole. It's very good at presenting you with a round hole due to it's curved inner surface.

Now, if I can see through a round 1/4" hole that's 8" in front of my face with my old bifocals beset eyeballs [8D] surely you don't need a peep that's bigger than that.

Basic rule of thumb. Use the smallest diameter peep that allows you to see through it clearly, under the worst lighting conditions you expect to face.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:50 PM

it dont have nothing to do with your draw length
a half of twist out or in should do the trick
My peep is perfectly square at full draw sothe half twist is not the issue.I tweaked it perfectly to line up at full draw with my home made bow press.

why do you want such a gaping hole to peep thru?
Well the situation is that with anything smaller than 9/32, it is hard to center the front sight inside the peep sight. In other words, I do not see the entire outline of the front sight and have to move my head forward to make the two circles overlap.When I do this, I'm almost pushing my face into the string or at least the corner of my lipsis literally touching the string. This takes me out of my anchor point and becomes uncomfortable.

I do not want to utilize the tubeless peeps because they form an egg at full draw. I even have one as Arthur P described with the curved inner surface and I still notice that egg shaped effect. All I need really is a tubed peep that is at least 9/32 which doesn'tform an egg plus doesn't allow me to see the tubebut none, I repeatNONE of the local shops around here seem to be able to understand what I'm trying to tell them. Maybe I'll go to the Cabela's that just opened up here. They have a good reputation for knowing their stuff right?

btw- I found a Blue Polycarbonate Venom Peep Sighton ebay that I'm thinking about trying. Does anyone know if this peep might remedy my problem?

Old 10-30-2006, 03:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well the situation is that with anything smaller than 9/32, it is hard to center the front sight inside the peep sight.
Well, you gotta do what you gotta do, but I'd advise against doing THAT. I know centering the pin guard in the peep iswhat a bunch of hot shots say you should do nowadays, and I know the theoretical rationale behind itbut.... I suspect they make such claims because they are paidby sponsors who make sights with round pin guards.

Just center the pin in the peep and forget the pin guard. That way, if the pin doesn't rotate absolutely perfectly and gives you a bit of an oblong hole, your eye will still naturally center the pin in the peep for you. Not to mention it gives your brain one less problem to worry about while you're trying to aim.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:01 PM

I hear ya Arthur, what you say does make sense. If I shoot long enough with the method you describe I know I can't help but train my brain and thus body to be able to put good grouping on paper. However, I've not been shooting long enough with any single rear sight to do that yet. Last year was my rookie year and I've beenbattling this problem since thevery beginning.For now, if at all possible, I want to have some sort of alignment tool(s) to help aid in memorizing my anchor point and possibly producingbetter form... specifically, 2 circles that overlap perfectly.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

If this is a problem you've been battling since the beginning, then I'd say it's time to make changes. How can you expect different results by doing the same thing over and over again? You're making this a lot harder than it needs to be.

Centering the pin in the peep is something your eye will do naturally if you just let it. There is no retraining the brain required. All you have to do is ignore the pin guard. It's much easier than centering the pin guard, trying to choose the right pin and then doing your best to hold that pin on the target while still trying to keep that blasted pin guard centered in the peep.

Do me a favor and give it a try.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:17 PM

I have to agree with Arthur on this one ,My peep and sight ring don't match and it doesn't stop me from stacking arrows @ 30 yrds.
I'm no target shooter ,just a hunter but I can whack a red squirrel @20 yrds from my tree stand by centering my pin in my peep.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:30 PM
dws

I definately agree with centering the pin in your peep. It makes for a lot less clutter in your sight picture. If it was better to center the housing they would have to start making peeps with rectangle holes and D-shaped holes for all the sights that are not round.

Quick Reply: 9/32 inch peep?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.