Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 what's up with my Wisker Biscuit?? >

what's up with my Wisker Biscuit??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

what's up with my Wisker Biscuit??

Old 10-24-2006, 03:37 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: what's up with my Wisker Biscuit??

ORIGINAL: doughboysigep

Big - I was refering to the feathers getting a little scuffed, not the WB. As far as the "center shot", I'm not sure - I just took it to Gander Mt. and asked them to check the center shot (it was off a bit) - I believe it was the nock in relation to the hole in WB. As far as the nock not being 90 deg. to string, you may have something. I have noticed that some arrows look a bit "off" when nocked. I do have uni-nock on most arrows now, so that could be corrected (how do you know when exactly at 90? - eyeball? I do have the proper spine - referenced the charts when ordering (been using same arrows since I had this rig).

As Imentioned before, the bows appears to be shooting good ("appears" is the key word - flight could be messed up, but hitting correctly???). That is what makes this so strange.
Not to start anything here....but going to Gander Mountain was your first mistake

Yes you can set your nock level with just your eyes but if you aren't good at that sort of thing there are plenty of non expensive and basic tools available (even at Gander Mountain) to help you with this.

I suggest you re-mount your Biscuit making sure the center shot is center to the string. It's not as hard as you might think. The string will be off center (to the left) about 1/8-1/4of an inch from the center of the riser.

Hold the bow in your left hand like you are going to shoot it. Eye your string and place it so it divides the back edge of the riser just below your top limb pocket,(just before it starts to curve for the sight opening)then slowly move till the string is halfway between center riser and the left edge. This is approx where your string center shot is. All you need to do now is (holding the bow steady)look down through the biscuit opening. If the string is not splitting the opening down the middleadjust the Biscuittill it does. This will put you very close to having the Biscuit centered to the string and not the center of the bow.It helps if your sitting down when you are doing this. This way you can rest the lower cam on yourleg so you can be as steady as possible.

Just so we are clear, if the Biscuit opening is perfectly centered with the centerline of the bow, your arrow will be pointing to the right because on most bows the string is not centered with the bow it's off to the left slightly.....understand? Like I said that is with most bows, I believe your PSE is like this.

Next nock an arrow and hold the bow out away from you so that you are looking at it from the side. Look to see if your arrow is level. You can even put it on the floor and stand over it. Adjust the Biscuit up or down till it's level. If you can't judge things by eye good then get some basic tools.

Once that is set make sure the Biscuit itself is not tilted, it should be straight up and down. This is also done by eye.

The last thing I do is check my tiller. I measure from where the limb exits the pocket (where most bows put the information tag) to the string. I make sure both top and bottomare even or within 1/6 of an inch. You adjust tiller by turning your limb bolts. I don't know if you knew this or not so please forgive me if you do.

At this point you should be ready to do some final tuning. I have found that I have only had to make some minor adjustments from these basic settings. One of my bows (my single cam) I didn't have to touch it at all. It made bullet holes paper tuning and was perfectly lined up whenI walk back tuned.

All you need to do now is re-sight and get to shooting. I suspect your Biscuit problems will be a thing of the past.

Good Luck
Old 10-24-2006, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks to me like the tune is off and the arrow is slaming into the bottom bristles. At least that's what I'm reading from the blurry pics. And I have never seen one that bad. But then again, I have never known anybody to let one get that bad before fixing the problem.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

definately looks like who set up the rest dont know what they were doing

first things first
put the bottom of the Nock set even with the top of the berger button hole this will put the arrow very close to the center of the berger button hole.
now if you are shooting a dual cam bow the arrow will needs to be square wuth the string to about 1/8" high if you are shooting a single cam start at 1/8" to 3/8" high
in other words you dont want the tip of the arrow higher than the nocking point this will cause the Nock end of the arrow to slam into the bottom of the rest. try to keep the arrow close to center of the berger button hole.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

could it simply be that my blazers area "wearing" on the WB bristles (more so than my feathers have done in the past)????? I can't get my head around why it is still shooting good if all the potential problems mentioned are (might be) occuring. the bow is just not "throwing" any stray arrows - so I assume my tune is up to par??
Old 10-26-2006, 02:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

could it simply be that my blazers area "wearing" on the WB bristles (more so than my feathers have done in the past)????? I can't get my head around why it is still shooting good if all the potential problems mentioned are (might be) occuring. the bow is just not "throwing" any stray arrows - so I assume my tune is up to par??
No it is not that simple

the reason ti is still shooting fairly strait is because the bristles are are stabelizing the arrow as it is passing thru the bristles if the bristles werent there the rear end of the arrow would be thrown up in the air causing horrible flight
this rest is not properly set up bottom line!
Old 10-26-2006, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is it shooting fine with broadheads AND field points, or just with field points? It can be a fine line between what you are seeing being an action, or a reaction. I would also say that it looks like the rest is set too high. I have gotten better results by setting the WB so the arrow is actually running through the middle of the hole, rather than having the arrow at 90 degrees when it is sitting on the bottom of the hole. I had a McPherson Edge this summer, and it was smacking field points into the "X" of the club's target as well as either of my Champion bows. It kept putting broadheads low though. First it was because the nock point was set too high, so the low broadheads were an action-too high of a nock. After resetting the rest, the broadheads still shot low, but when I tried using some old skinny AFC arrows, it shot perfectly with broadheads. At that point, the rest was too high (nock point too low) for the ACC arrows I wanted to use, and broadheads were hitting low because they were reacting to the fletching passing through the biscuit. I set the rest just a bit lower, and all was well, but the adjustment between the action and reaction tuning errors was very small.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:21 AM

It could also be a nock travel issue.Some single cams tend to slam the nock end of the arrow down.I have a bowtech patriot with infinity cams and it is bad in this regard.It could alsobe that your rest is tipped forward slightly or the tail of the arrow is flying low.You may try raising the nock height.I have a similar wear pattern on my bisquit with mybowtech.My FP's and broadheads are grouping together and flying goodso I've been hesitant to change anything.I will probably do some experimenting after the season.

CB
Old 10-26-2006, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to say "NO". It is not the Blazers wearing the bristles. The arrow has three vanes on it so if it was the vanes causing the wear then there would be three evenly spaced wear patterns 120 degrees apart.

This definitely looks like the nocking point is too low or extremely too high, causing the back end of the arrow to be driven down into the bristles. If the arrow were passing through cleanly then you should not get this kind of wear even after thousands of shots.