HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   What Compound Bow Do You Use & Why? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/160148-what-compound-bow-do-you-use-why.html)

philnie 10-17-2006 10:44 AM

What Compound Bow Do You Use & Why?

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of getting into bow hunting (deer at first, then elk and the rest) here in Washington state.If things go well I'd then consider doing out of state hunting, etc.I used to do target archery a long time ago as a kid about the timecompound bows were first designed/introduced to the marketplace (yes I'm that old!). :)My target Jennings compound was about a 40lb pull at something like 31" draw with a 28% letoff - I know compound bow technology has really raced ahead so what do you all shoot and why?I'd be using alum or carbon shafts, plastic vanes, and a release ... :)

That said, I want to learn more about current compound bow technologies and why you guys use specific makes/models etc ...

As always, thanks a bunch!
phil

Monie 10-17-2006 11:02 AM

RE: What Compound Bow Do You Use & Why?

I shoot a Diamond Liberty, which is made by Bowtech. (See my avatar, the pic under my name)The Liberty used to be on the bowtech line. Bowtech switched the single cams to the Diamond line this year.

I shoot this bow because it feels "perfect" in my hand. It has wonderful balance.It has a HUGE idler wheel whichallows the bow to bedrawn smoothly. I can pull well over 60 pounds without it feeling like it, though I only shoot at 62 pounds. It has a positive draw stop. In other words, the bow cannot be pulled any farther, since the bottom cam has a post that stops your draw at the point you set. Bows that don't have this will have some "sponge". That is when you draw to your anchor point and can still draw a little further. This is bad news, especially if you shoot short arrows, as the arrows can come off the rest. This is not a "fast" bow by today's standrads, but that's ok. You must be accurate! Speed doesn't matter if you can't hit what you're aiming at. You just miss faster.

I would suggest that you go to a pro shop and pick up different bows to find out which feels the best to you. Have the bow tech help you choose and definitely DO NOT shoot what the other guy is shooting just because it's all the rage. Shoot what feels good to YOU!

Good luck! :)

MichaelT. 10-17-2006 04:04 PM

I shoot a PSE Firestorm Lite. You can see my stuff at the bottom of my post. I shoot this bow, because of a few reasons. I bought it from a manager of a bow shop by where I work who had been shooting it for three months and was swapping to bowtech. He had a lot of equipment on it and gave it all to me for 300.00. I had shot it and I really liked the compactness of it, 30" ATA. When I have thought about all of the new bows out there, I look at mine and I see a very reliable bow ( had it for 4 years without a single problem ) , that I don't have an arm and leg in. I see a bow that shoots as fast as a lot if not most bows just coming out today, it's rated 300 IBO. But yes there are several that are faster out there. And the bow I owned before was a PSE also. Never had any trouble with it either. NEVER.

But probably most importantly, I knew that the bow could shoot better than me. Meaning, that until I practiced and got better and better, and could shoot up to the ability of the bow, then I did not need a better bow.

( Mind you I have bow hunted since about 1990. I had a short layoff in there, about 4 years, when All of my hunting and fishing stuff was taken in a robbery, with no insurance to replace it. It took a while. )

But when I improved, I knew I could go then and buy something better if I wanted to. But if I bought the best right off the bat, when I could not do it justice, I felt I would be spinning my wheels. Wasting money, and still want a new bow when I got better. So I would be spending big bucks 2 x instead of 1 x.

And although I had previously had no plans to upgrade soon, I just changed my mind when I happen to see a post a few minutes ago,with a pic of a new 2007 bowtech coming out, and it appears that bow will be my demise. Cause I'm gonna buy one, and the wife is gonna kill me.

kinny 10-17-2006 04:17 PM

I shoot a Mathews Outback. I live 20 miles from the Mathews factory so I gotta support the home team!! My girlfriend went to high school with at least a few of the employees of Mathews, I would rather pay their wage than someone elses I guess. I'm happy with the bow but don't necessarily think it's any better thana Hoyt, Bowtech...

BigJ71 10-17-2006 04:59 PM

I shoot Browning Bows, I say bows because I have a few of them from an old (1980's) Trophy Magnum II (dual cam) that I started hunting with to a mid 90'sBoss Tracker (dual cam). I have retired those bows but thay can still be called into service at any time. I now hunt with a 2005 Rage One (single cam) that I found in the garbage,it onlycost me a few dollars to get shooting againand a 2005 Oasis (hybrid cam).

I shoot Browning because after I moved from long bows and recurves that I learned on (like you) It was the first compound bow I used for hunting. That Trophy Magnum served me so well that I bought another Browning years later (Boss Tracker) that also served me well with no problems.

The Rage One shoots like a dream as does the Oasis. While the Oasisismore expensive and is a "higher line bow"as opposed to the Rage, I hunt with the Rage because it is so bullet proof. It just keeps on performing in the cold, rain heat etc... Never changes it's point of impact and is as sturdy as a rock. I will probably try and hunt with the Oasis sometime this year, but it just goes to show you don't have to spend a ton of money to get a quality hunting bow. The Rage and Rage One are Browning's "entry Level" hunting bows.

I have a long draw as well and I have the Rage One set at 31in but it actually draws 31 3/4 in (as does the Oasis) at 70lbs the Rage shoots a 31 1/2in arrow (476gr) at 266fps while the Oasis is slightly faster with the same arrows at 275fps

Look into the Browning line of bows, they have some great new bows out (Illusion, Mirage, Myst and Vapor) The Vapor Draws to 32in for us long draw shooters while the others only draw to 30in. Of the four listed above all are single cam bows (with oversized idler wheels) except for the Myst that is a hybrid cam.

Good luck no matter what bow you choose.

Here is a link to the 2007 Brownings.

http://www.browning-archery.com/products/2007/vapor.htm

bowhunter79deer 10-17-2006 05:55 PM

I shoot a Hoyt Trykon like the way it feels and thats most important. But might buy a new Hoyt,Bowtech or Elite this year depends on if I find one I like better then my Trykon.

BowTech_Shooter 10-17-2006 06:18 PM

I shoot BowTech's...Because I love the bows and my job depends on it...;):D

OhioHunter222 10-17-2006 08:06 PM

right now i shoot a browning micro midas 3. i love it, its just a youth bow but has been good to me so far. when i get an adult bow i will probably get a bowtech or a mathews (depends on the model from the year i get an adult bow (maybe next year))

Rob/PA Bowyer 10-17-2006 09:00 PM

Bowtech Allegiance after shooting Hoyts of 10 years. See this link for an explanation:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1421735

Straightarrow 10-18-2006 04:25 AM

I won't mention the brand, because I sincerely believe the brand is the least important aspect of choosing a bow.

I always choose my bows for the same reason. I want at least an 8" brace height, because it assures that when shooting at an odd angle with my heaviest hunting jacket on, the string won't hit my sleeve on release.

I always pick a bow with an ATA in the 35-36" range. This is the lengthh that puts the string in the right position for my multiple anchors points.

I then look for a cam that I feel will give me a straight nock travel. I'm currently shooting a hybrid cam bow, and love how a broadhead flies out of this configuration. I've also seen some single cams that give good flight, and some that didn't. I won't buy into a cam type, until I confirm that a broadhead flies like a field tip out of it.

The last component I look at is the grip. I want one that promotes a repeatable hand placement. A comfortable grip has no bearing on how well you will shoot and is seldom a factor in what makes a good grip.

If a bow gives me all this, it's on the list. I then narrow it down by the little, less meaningful things. Amount of reflex, hand shock and the all important - camo pattern. I can make any modern bow a quiet bow, so I don't even concern myself with that.

If there happens to be more than one bow still on the list after all this, I will pick the one sold by the bow shop with the best reputation of standing behind the products they sell.