Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Dental floss for serving??? >

Dental floss for serving???

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Dental floss for serving???

Old 10-15-2006, 10:06 AM

Default RE: Dental floss for serving???

I have used waxed dental floss to tie in string add on's for years. Matter of fact, I have NEVER tied an accessory w/serving material in over 20yrs of working on archery equipment, except when no floss was available. This isn't considered temporary either....it's permanant. I keep 2 spools of unscented waxed floss in my kit at all times, one colored, one white. Never had one complaint yet. I proved the point at another shop once that I could tie on a kisser quicker and TIGHTER w/floss than the owner could w/ a spool and serving tool. That guy now uses floss, and why not....it's cheaper, lighter and easier to use. I say go ahead and use it...but if you use unwaxed, wax the string heavy before you start. The trick is to be sure not to twist it much so that it lays out flat and almost transparent. I start at the top, tie into the string, make several wraps then procede down the accessory, in the case of a peep, just wrap one section of the divided string and go to the bottom. Be sure you actually pull your string back together above and below to assure the peeps does not slide up and down in the string. It is plenty stron and light.

Good Luck.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

back in the boy scout days i made a complete recurve bow string out of dental floss. the instructions were in the hunting merit badge book.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:28 AM

Thanks Dryridge, good info
Old 10-17-2006, 04:20 PM

Honestly, I use dental floss for just about everything. I work in a archery shop andI serve all of my string add on's in with it, it works great, it ties in really tight and just snip the tag ends and burn the heat really sinches it up and you almost have to cut it off. hit it with a little serve-anchor and your set.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:44 PM
Spike

ARTMAN instruments welcome you to our website and look forward a rich browsing. We are leading surgical instruments providers all over USA, Canada and Europe. Currently our focus is on dentists, orthodontists, Implantologists and general surgeons.