Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Paper Tuning My New Tribute >

Paper Tuning My New Tribute

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Paper Tuning My New Tribute

Old 10-12-2006, 09:35 PM

Default Paper Tuning My New Tribute

Hello. Perhaps some of you out there can help me w/ this. I recently bought a new BowTech Tribute and can't seem to get a clean paper tune. What/where is the "standard" starting nocking point? Level? 1/2 inch? Furthermore,upon the strong recommendation of the pro shop guys, I put a string loop onsaid bow. Now, I'vealways shot with a TRU-BALL speed nock w/ a cushion button below and never had any problems at all. I know it soundsfunny and all, but could a string loop cause bad tears, all other things being equal?? Thanks. More to come...I'm sure.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Paper Tuning My New Tribute

if it is not located at the optimum nock travel.
weakflemsy arrows,out of time double cam bows,wrong nock location,misalined arrowrest and improper grip will cause a bad tear.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:13 AM

ORIGINAL: BowhunterSteve

Hello. Perhaps some of you out there can help me w/ this. I recently bought a new BowTech Tribute and can't seem to get a clean paper tune. What/where is the "standard" starting nocking point? Level? 1/2 inch? Furthermore,upon the strong recommendation of the pro shop guys, I put a string loop onsaid bow. Now, I'vealways shot with a TRU-BALL speed nock w/ a cushion button below and never had any problems at all. I know it soundsfunny and all, but could a string loop cause bad tears, all other things being equal?? Thanks. More to come...I'm sure.
You might want to PM Rick James...
Tributes are, especially if you are a inexperienced shooter, one of the toughest bows to tune. He and I worked on mine for two weeks before I gave up and bought a Darton. PM him and maybe that will help.
Also, I have heard a rumon that Tributes might now always papertune, no matter how much you work on them.
Hope some of this helps.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Level here. Bad grip (torque) will also produce a bad tear.

I had mine shooting bullets and then did a little tweaking when it came fixed blade time so I don't know what it would do on paper now- but that is no longer important.

make sure the stringloop is tied with each knot on opposite sides of the string and not sinched up too tight on the arrow nock.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Honestly I would PM either Matt / PA or Bowtech_Shooter on here. I have good experience w/ binaries but not specifically Tributes and Campo's proved to be a different critter than the multiple binary bows I previously owned.Those guys have way more experience than I do w/ the tribute.

My best advice would be to set the center shot to around 13/16" to 7/8" and the nock point to perfectly level and walkback tune the bow to make sure it is dropping perfectly level, adjust according to this and then don't worry about the tear.

Also, a loop is lesslikely to produce a bad tear unless it lengthens your draw length to the point of you torquing the bow due to bad form due to incorrect draw length.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:30 AM

Thank you to all. To answer a few posts, the loop hasn't got me overdrawn, I shoot a 29 DL so this one has a 28 1/2 DL. Also, the first few shots I took through paper where bullets, but the more I mess w/ it the less I figure out. One thought I had was this: is there a "break-in" period on these BowTech's? A nock high tear means lower the nock, right?...doesn't seem so with me! Lowered the nock to the point it was actually BELOW SQUARE and still never got rid of the tear. At this point I'm dumpin' the paper crap and gonna start shooting my Montec's and field points together till they all hit the same place. Forget the paper, I don't havethe time or the newspaper.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:47 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

If your first few shots were bullets why did you start changing things? I'm a little confused by that statement. Makes it sound as if it is something you are doing not the bow.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:17 PM

What kind of arrow rest are you using?
Old 10-13-2006, 02:56 PM

[:-]I'm new to the Tribute, my son and I both just purchased them. I too was having some trouble paper tuning mine. But after shooting it for several days like the owner of the Pro Shop stated, it started to shoot bullets holes for me too. My setup is 1/8", with a rope release loop, and my arrow rest is a Ripcord drop-away rest, which I highly recommend. I believe my problems in the beginning were getting use to a new bow and not the bow. My son had more trouble than I did, but he hadn't shot a bow of any kind for quit a few years, so his form needed some work at first, but now he's shooting just fine with the help of theArchery shop owner.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:38 PM

ORIGINAL: mez

If your first few shots were bullets why did you start changing things? I'm a little confused by that statement. Makes it sound as if it is something you are doing not the bow.
Yeah, I see what you mean. Thing is, though, the only reason I started messing around was because those initial results came from an incomplete set-up, i.e. no quiver, no stabilizer, no string loop, etc. Truth is, the more I think about it, I only ran into troubles once I added the loop. Furthermore, have any of you experienced a string loop that slips or moves up or down? Any way to stop that?? I measured it from the same location both times, yet after a number of shots found the loop to have slid down an 1/8 inch!? Common??

Quick Reply: Paper Tuning My New Tribute

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.