Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 What's the point in practicing with field tips? >

What's the point in practicing with field tips?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What's the point in practicing with field tips?

I aways have fixed blades and mechanicals in my quiver, so it is important that they hit the same for me; and being that mechanicals hit the same as field tips with a less than tuned bow and broadheads won't, I have to have them tuned the same. I use the mechanicals on turkey and the fixed blades on everything else (deer, coyotes, etc).
Old 10-11-2006, 07:47 AM

I've wondred the same thing. That's why I practice w/ both. What I mean is, one shot BH, one shot FP, and so on.I alternate between the 2. Yeah, my layered target is getting pretty tore up, but you know.

There's very little difference in my points and 100 grn Thunderheads. Very little. Now, if I could only get my bow a little faster, quieter, I'll be set!!!!!! [:@] LOL
Old 10-11-2006, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

For those that think field tips (target points) are a waste of time I ask this. How long is the hunting season in your state and how much do you actually hunt? Venturing an educated guess I'll say a couple months of the year. The rest of the year is what most people call the "off-season".

Well, what about us guys that shoot year round. Archery isn't always about just hunting. It's a sport that has many venues and can be enjoyed year round, indoors and out. To that end broadheads only get shot a very little bit when counted against the amount of shots some of us take.

It doesn't really take a lot of broadhead shooting to get one's bow really tuned well and ready for the few shots taken during the hunting seasons. I would estimate that during the tuning process I may shoot 50 shots to verify that my broadheads are flying as perfect as I can get them. The a couple shots at game if I'm lucky.

Compared to the 5000 shots or so a year I put through my bows that's a very small percentage. There are those of us who truly enjoy shooting year round; target, field, 3D or whatever, our bows never get put away. There is always that dream of finding the perfect bow or accessory that makes us that much better. Of course it never happens because the biggest variable is us--human beings. So there is also the inner drive to perfect one's self and shooting form. The challenge is always there.

Add to that the knowledge we gain from tuning and tinkering all the time, keeping our body and mind in tune, along with our equipment and it gets easy to see why it's not necessary to practice with broadheads till the blades wear off the ferrules. Besides, how long do targets last that see a steady barrage of broadheads?

So in reality, for me at least, shooting broadheads for practice and hunting comprises probably about 1% of the shooting I do in a years time. There is no reason to shoot them more than that.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

BGfisher... isn't it amazing how fast those huge $400-600 blocks wear out when customers think they have to constantly practice w/ their broadheads?
Old 10-11-2006, 10:58 AM

Ihad the same problem and so did my dad we both got new bows this year and had them shooting dead on with field tips, then went to our thunderheads that we have always shot and they didnt fly right so we tried muzzy four bladesame thingi tried a nap crossfire same thing, so then we tried iron heads and slick tricks they flew great thats with no extra tuning from the field tips. just to see i went back and tried the others the flight was off. my uncle bought new brodheads and his flight was off from his field tips i gave him a slick trick and he hit right on there heads are great you should give them a try. Just thought i would share.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:00 AM
Typical Buck

Ihad the same problem and so did my dad we both got new bows this year and had them shooting dead on with field tips, then went to our thunderheads that we have always shot and they didnt fly right so we tried muzzy four bladesame thingi tried a nap crossfire same thing, so then we tried iron heads and slick tricks they flew great thats with no extra tuning from the field tips. just to see i went back and tried the others the flight was off. my uncle bought new brodheads and his flight was off from his field tips i gave him a slick trick and he hit right on there heads are great you should give them a try. Just thought i would share.
By my estimation.. you just spent $100 on broadheads... instead of spending 30 minutes tuning your bow so that your broadheads flew correctly? You're just bandaiding the issue... not fixing it.

But whatever floats your boat!!!
Old 10-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

My field tips and broadheads hit the same place. I shoot field tips to keep my form up during the year. I shoot them once the season starts because I don't want to be sharpening broadheads all the time.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:49 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Ohiobuck25

After practicing all Summer with field tips, and grouping my arrows as tight as could be. I knew I was ready for a"Booner" to walk right out in front of me! So I thought! The other day I decided to practice shootingwith my broadheads. I usually don't shoot with them due to the fact that they seem to tear up every target I've ever used. Anyway, I was amazed to see the drastic difference in accuracy and precision with my Montec broadheads as opposed to my 100 grain field tips. I knew there was supposedly a little difference, but I never dreamed it would be as drastic as it was. After all Summer of dialing my pins in just right, I now was going to have to make more changes to my set-up.

So back to my original question in the "Subject". What's the point in practicing with field tips, if you can't hunt with them in the first place?
Are there any broadheads that seem tofly as true or close to that of a 100 grain field tip.Any advice wouldhelp!
this is the reason I broadhead tune. I am a hunter first, and not a target shooter. I am sure you could get tad better groups tunign only for broadheads only, not mtatter where the hit compared to field, but I am fine with 3-4" accuracy out to 30 yards.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:00 PM

imo, you tune your bow to your broadheads, then practice with field points for form, but i also shoot g5 montecs, and g5 sells practice broadheads, wich i also practice with.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

You answered your own question.

I usually don't shoot with them due to the fact that they seem to tear up every target I've ever used.
They also cost up to ten bucks a pop where as a field tip only costs about a quarter.

Quick Reply: What's the point in practicing with field tips?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.