HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Question about muzzy 100 grain (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/159025-question-about-muzzy-100-grain.html)

matt068 10-10-2006 03:50 PM

Question about muzzy 100 grain

My heads are flying awsome with the practice blades, same as field points. Do these practice blades fly exactly the same as real bades or should I take a shot or two. I really don't want to dull the blades if I don't have to. Any input from you muzzy guys would be appreciated.

Gadeerslayer 10-10-2006 03:59 PM

RE: Question about muzzy 100 grain

From my experience, they fly pretty much the same. With that said, it wouldn't hurt to shoot your regular broadhead once to verify their flight...

OhioHunter222 10-10-2006 06:14 PM

just shoot one of them once and dont take a shot at a deer with one unless you get three shots or six if you got a six pack lol.

ahankster 10-10-2006 07:04 PM

Some folks will think I am nuts and overdoing it, but I buy a new six pack every year. Never know when the buck of a lifetime is going to walk out on you.

What I do is pick six arrows that shoot as exactly the same as I can tell. Take three and mount three new heads on them and take three and put the other three heads on them. The first three, I practice with and the second three I hunt with. I also usually buy one pack of replacement blades. If I shoot a deer, that broadhead either becomes another practice tip, or I throw the blades away and replace them with new.

Once season starts, the only thing I shoot are either the three practice arrows, or one of the three hunting arrows during a hunt. If something happens and I loose or break a hunting arrow, I will replace it with one of the practice shafts and a broadhead from last year, but mark the arrow. It then becomes a finishing shot arrow or one for the wayard coyote or diller and I still have two primary hunting arrows. Then replace the practice shaft with a new one.

I know this sounds kinda complicated. But my goal is to practice with exactly the arrows I hunt with and always have the best and sharpest broadhead on it I possibly can.
Hank

walks with a gimp 10-10-2006 08:44 PM

Sounds like you have a quick clean kill planned with the best chance of a great blood trail from a perfectly placed shot..

What's a diller?:D

ahankster 10-10-2006 09:07 PM

Armadillo,
Nothing more antagonizing than hearing something easing through the woods, listening and waiting, getting excited, only to have one of these nasty little imports from south of the boarder come crashing through the leaves.

Make for a challenging target at 30 yards.
Hank