Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fore Arm Slap

Old 09-22-2006, 10:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default Fore Arm Slap

I am 6 foot tall and shoot with a 28 1/2 inch draw with a string loop. Here is my question - I slap my forearm with every shot! Now most of them are just a brushing (but some have left bruises).

I can't believe that my draw is too long (kisser button to the corner of my mouth - fletchingtouching my chin). I try to drop my elbow slightly down and away from the bow at full draw, but I still get slapped.

Any suggestions or clues to why I keep hitting my arm - I am concerned for when I have to start adding layers of clothes, and because I wonder if this means there is some other problem with my form or bow set-up with which I should be concerned.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:24 PM

Default RE: Fore Arm Slap

pastorkhris,

when i was little my dad told me to roll my elbow out, instead of dropping it down, this will cause a slight bend in your arm. i have been shooting like this ever since and havenever had a problem with string slap.

hope it helps,

granby
Old 09-23-2006, 07:10 AM

Try a front mount sts for your hoyt. You could open your stance a little and grip your bow with your hand at 45 degrees .
Old 09-23-2006, 07:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

it's definitely bad form or you wouldn't be popping yourself.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

as rev said bad form
Old 09-23-2006, 09:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Agreed, bad form on your bow arm. You either have it too straight, or your rolling your wrist left/ right hand shooter right?

Posting a picture at full draw will get you, your best critic.....if you can handle the criticism..LOL

Old 09-23-2006, 12:04 PM

Most arm slap is caused by bad form unless you have one of those arms that looks like it should be on the other side of your body
The first place I would look is your grip. You should hold the bow with as little of the heel (pinky side of the lifeline) of the handtouching the bow as possible. Heeling the bow causes a lot of torque and when you release, the bow twists in your hand and the string smacks your forearm. There may be other causes too. Get someone who is a good shot towatch you shoot and check out your form. Remember, the only dumb question is the one you dont ask. There are a lot of guys on here who would be glad to help you
. Ive been shooting for 46 years and I still ask for help.
Good luck

GGBH
Old 09-23-2006, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

the sts did wonders for me too.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:53 PM
bigcountry

I can easily rool my elbow from down to the left. But I have met some that can not. They have this strange elbow (to me), that breaks over.

Old 09-23-2006, 02:23 PM

If your draw length is not too long, and we can't verify that without a picture, it could very well be your grip. I would bet you are setting it in your hand too deep. You might be gripping it like you would a pistol, this is not correct for a bow.

Hold your hand out and point it like you are making gun. Index finger out and thumb up. When you go to set your grip on the bow it should be on the outer edge of your hand, like on the pad of your thumb, to the right side of your life line in your hand. Set it so the knuckles on your hand are at a 45 degree angle to the risor. I often keep my fingers curled into my hand when setting my grip, then open them up and let them lay on the grip. You should not actually grip or hold on to the bow at full draw. Just let your fingers relax and fall where ever.

I bet your hand is more straight up and down now causing your elbow to turn in a tad. Setting your grip at a 45 degree angle or better will roll your arm out away from the string. Also using a slightly bent bow arm will help with this as well. Your bow arm should not be fully extended and locked

If you have the means post a picture of you at full draw from a few different angles and it will give us a better idea. Someone can propably get you going from there. I most likely won't be around by then, but there are plenty of others that can help you out and know what I am trying to say.

Paul

Quick Reply: Fore Arm Slap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.