Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 tuning a new bow >

tuning a new bow

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

tuning a new bow

Old 09-21-2006, 10:23 PM

Default tuning a new bow

I have a 06 parker frontier bow, was bought brand new, bout a month ago, been target shooting alot for the past 2 weeks, my arrows are hitting where i aimed, but I heard after about 100 arrows have been shot threw it the bow will half to be tuned? but how can i tell if the bow is tuned right? im very new to the working on and tuning a bow, so any suggestions would help
Old 09-22-2006, 06:06 AM

Default RE: tuning a new bow

Go to a shop...unless you want to dedicate alot of time and money into learning how to tune yourself.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

After a hundred shots or so, the string and cables will have settled into their service lengths, probably longer than they should be,and the cam's timing will likely be off. They will need to be twisted up to get them back to factory spec length and get the cam timing set. Unless you have a bow press, you will need to take the bow to the shop and have that done.

NEVER rely solely on a shop tune. Unless you are the one doing the shooting for the tune job, it will hardly ever be perfectly tuned for your own shooting form/style. Any archer/bowhunter who wants to be worthy of the name will invest the time and effort to learn how to tune his bow and will acquire, at the very least, the basic tools to getthe jobdone.

I highly recommend getting a copy of Larry Wise's book, "Tuning & Silencing Your Bowhunting Shooting System" as your first 'tool.' Then get a bow square, set of allen wrenches, nock pliers and a portable press (like the Bowmaster) and you'll be set to do most any work you need to do to the bow, short of acomplete disassembly.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

yep, what he said.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:04 AM

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

yep, what he said.
Ditto
Old 09-22-2006, 03:07 PM

thanks alot guys, can i check my factory specs that is on my bow for the cables and strings, with a tape measure, to see if they are the same, if so what part of the bow do i need to measure from

Old 09-22-2006, 04:46 PM

Depends what you're measuring. Tiller is from where the limb enters the limb pocket on the riser to the string (top and bottom), brace height is from the grip throat to the string. The best and easiest way to measure these is with a bow square.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

I`m a wanna be bowhunter take mine to a shop and have them do it