Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Reason for nocking point to be high and not square? >

Reason for nocking point to be high and not square?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Reason for nocking point to be high and not square?

Old 09-18-2006, 12:20 PM

Default Reason for nocking point to be high and not square?

I was shooting my bow this weekend and someone else was studying it and asked why my string loop was set up to put my arrow on high of what would give me a "square" setup with the rest.

I looked at it and he was right. when the drop-away is up and the arrow is resting on it, the arrow points downhill (when you look at the cable guide behind it).

So, would there have been a reason the shop would have set up the bow with this slightly out of perpendicular? (I'd have to measure, but I'm guessing it's like 1/8 or 1/4 inch).

This is a Bowtech Patriot Dually if that matters.

BTW....for those keep track, this bow has been shooting like a champ since I replaced the original factory string with a custom 452x one.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Reason for nocking point to be high and not square?

Typically, I've found that my BowTechs shoot best when the arrow is perfectly level and perpendicular to the string, but that is on binaries and not true dual cams; I didn't shoot BT when they had the duallys.

Just about every single cam I've ever seen favored a 1/8" high nocking point though, or somewhere around there. Individual shooting characteristics and mannerisms could account for a different nocking point.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Typically, I've found that my BowTechs shoot best when the arrow is perfectly level and perpendicular to the string, but that is on binaries and not true dual cams; I didn't shoot BT when they had the duallys.

Just about every single cam I've ever seen favored a 1/8" high nocking point though, or somewhere around there. Individual shooting characteristics and mannerisms could account for a different nocking point.
Same results, thanks for the typing Greg.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Leaving a lot of smaller variables out, a lot has to do with tiller. Doesn't matter what you are shooting compound or traditional. Tiller can be adjusted to where it needs to be with a compound. It can also be adjusted with traditional by shaving. Take a look at this article to help understand,

http://www.merlin-bows.co.uk/articles/Tiller.pdf#search='why%20nocking%20point'
Old 09-18-2006, 05:14 PM

It has to do with nock travel, but it shouldn't be a concern with a dual cam. My bowtech likes a pretty nock high setting, but it's a single cam.

I have also noticed drop a ways like a slightly high nock setting as well.

Paul
Old 09-18-2006, 08:09 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

If you want to get a bit nerdy, I've heard it has something to do with the fact that your bow hand is below the center of the bow.

Like others have said, you have to tune your bow for your own particular form, but over the years people have found that after tuning, the nock is a bit high, so they recommend that as the best starting point.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:46 PM

I agree with Bob, if your nock point is really high but your still getting decent field point and broadhead groups, then your tiller is probably off.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

It would stand to reason your nock is not traveling level and is moving downward during the shot. You could try and turn the bottom limb bolt out and see what happens. Do it in 1/4 turns. It is known as fine tuning or super tuning a bow and often, as Bobs reference pointed out, used to perfect aiming by causing the bow to not pull up or down during a shot. Could just be as others have said a characteristic of these bows. Not the time to fool around with it and you said it's shooting well. Could reduce some noise and vibration though.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:53 AM

Although nock travel affects where the ideal position is, and so does riser design, nock height is most easily adjusted with tiller. You can move it up or down easily by adjusting tiller. However, most bows have the straightest nock travel, with it in a particular position. You should check with the manufacturer, or if you have access to a tiller board, you can figure it out yourself. Let's say the manufacturer says that ideal nock height is 3/8" above level, but your bow is set at 1/4" above level to get good groups. You can get it to 3/8" by adjusting tiller.

The reason nock height isn't identical on every bow of a particular model, is that limbs are not clones. Sometimes one flexes every so slightly more than the other. In this instance you have to adjust tiller to get the nock height into ideal position for that bow.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most bows do best 1/8 to 1/4 inch high , on nocking point with compound bows , rarely I have seen dead level , when useing a wisker bisquet rest . I think it has to do with the fact that you are not shooting from the center of the axils , measure and you'll see its off by a couple inches .

Quick Reply: Reason for nocking point to be high and not square?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.