Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Reason for nocking point to be high and not square? >

Reason for nocking point to be high and not square?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Reason for nocking point to be high and not square?

Old 09-19-2006, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Reason for nocking point to be high and not square?

If you want to get a bit nerdy, I've heard it has something to do with the fact that your bow hand is below the center of the bow.
Not nerdy, it's exactly correct. And that is where tillering comes into play no matter what type of bow you shoot. It would be impossible to have both limbs of the bow working evenly because of this. One has to work harder then the other. If the deepest part or pivot point of the bow were directly in the center, then the limbs could work exactly evenly, only problem then would be the location of the arrow leaving the bow (very high). Seems like on a lot of bows, the mid point of the bow is the shelf. The deepest part of the grip and the arrow rest at full draw are about equal distance from this point.

Try doing this (this will work if your bow is not too heavy for you to pull), put an arrow on your bow, put your sight on a target about shoulder leveland start pulling directly back (keep a loose grip) to a point just before the cams flip. Does your bow want to kick either up or down? It shouldn't, and your should not have to adjust your grip, stance, or bow arm to get it back on target. If it does want to move upor down, then consider making a tiller adjustment.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:01 AM

I noticed the same thing with my Bowtech. I just replaced the string and adjusted both tillers to be the same. After I tuned it and was shooting well, I let someone else shoot it. I noticed that my nock was a little higher than my drop away at full draw. The thing is shooting bullets out to 40 yards with field tips and broadheads.

If your setup is shooting well, don't mess with it right now. Wait until after the season is over then you can adjust it. That is what I am doing.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:04 AM

I hadn't intended to touch mine unless I saw an obvious reason to do so.

Mine's shooting great now, and while I still have a touch of "new-bow-itis," i'll wait until after season to find something new and flashy (and on sale
Old 09-20-2006, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

You've been given the answerseveral times. TILLER! Do a search for keyword 'tiller' in the tech forum. Find one of my responses on the topic. It's one of the simplest adjustments you can use to make your bow shoot even better.