Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Waxing a Bow String? >

Waxing a Bow String?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Waxing a Bow String?

Old 09-17-2006, 05:49 PM

Default Waxing a Bow String?

How often should you wax a string on today's compound bows?

Could you do any damage by over waxing?

I have used Bohning Wax for years and just curious to see how everyone else does it.

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2006, 06:00 PM

Default RE: Waxing a Bow String?

i just wax mine every time the string starts to get a little fuzz hanging from it. Since Im not an expert, Im not really sure how often youre "supposed" to do it, I imagine waxing it every time after shooting wouldnt really hurt anything.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wax mine when I see it starting to fray a bit, which is usuallyat least oncemonth.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:19 PM

I wax mine every Monday whether it needs it or not.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

i do mine every week depending on how much i shot. if im shooting alot ill wax it a little more often. i heard a good rule of thumb is when it looks dry its time to wax. when its good its...shiny..when it drys its dull....
Old 09-17-2006, 06:25 PM

Does anyone use a hair dryer or just the heat from your fingers?
Old 09-17-2006, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wax mine and the harness after I shoot it every day and no you can not over wax your string. When I bought a bow from the PSE truck years ago the PSE rep told me if I wax my string after each time I use it it will increase the string and harness life X2 and by god he was right. That was 3 bows ago and the tip has never failed me. And at almost $100.00 for a string and cables I'm going to keep doing it.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I get wax on mine about every other time I shoot. I do not want it to dry out and start to fray. Just rub it in with fingers. I use a wax with graphite in it also.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I tend to be the same as some of the other guys... I just do it when it starts feeling a bit drier. Probably average about once every two weeks. I rub it in with fingers; I wouldn't want to put any heat on my strings from a blow-drier.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

My target bows get waxed every day I shoot them usually. I can't claim credit for this one, I got the idea from local Mathews pro Chris Fletcher. I fill the bottom riser cutout hole in my target bows and will probably do w/ my hunting bow as well with wax. When I am bored at a 3D shoot waiting to get on the stake, I rub a bit onto my thumb and index finger and wax away...........

This also gives me motivation to not leave the bows in the car when its super hot outside in the summer too. [8D]

Quick Reply: Waxing a Bow String?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.