Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How Heavy Should My Arrows Be? >

How Heavy Should My Arrows Be?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How Heavy Should My Arrows Be?

Old 09-17-2006, 12:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default How Heavy Should My Arrows Be?

For the first time today I was able to accurately weigh my arrows (Beamon Venture 340's with 100 grain tips). They weighed 429 grains! My bow (Hoyt PowerTec set at 28 1/2 inch draw and 67#) shoots 255fps with these arrows which gives me about 62ft-lbs of kenetic energy.

So, here is my question - Should I be concerned that my arrows are so heavy? It really surprised me that they weighed so much. Should I try to get the arrows down around the 350-390 range or does it not really matter?

I will be hunting elk and I know that longer shots are a possibility so I need as much speed as possible, but I cannot forget about kenetic energy.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How Heavy Should My Arrows Be?

If you're worried about being too heavy, and want to pick up a little more speed, you can always trim some excess off the shaft. Most times an inch in front of your rest, at full draw, is sufficient. If you have the cash you can always get some 400's, which are made for the 67# range.

You need at least 65 ft-lbs of ke for elk, so the experts say. Sitting at 62, you might be better off just to leave it and work on shot placement. I'm sure you know, the farther you shoot, the more exaggerated a bad shot becomes. Besides, from all of the people I've spoken to about the subject, mosttimes elk will offer a close shot.

Old 09-17-2006, 08:54 AM

Perspective is everything. If it was me, I'd be concerned about beign so light. Your worried about speed, which is completely unimportant. Accuracy and penetration are all that matters. Heavy arrows with a high FOC and good drag on the rear can be shot very accurately with a broadhead attached. They also penetrate better than a light arrow. Know your distance and shoot with a truely heavy arrow, and your setup will be more than adequate for elk.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:37 AM

Straightarrow is exactly right IMO. I would feel uncomfortable hunting elk with less than a 400 grain arrow, and in fact Idaho regs don't let you hunt with anything less than 400 grains. You want an arrow that penetrates well, whether it's 10 yards or 40 yards, and a heavier arrow will maintain it's speed better at longer ranges than a lighter one.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:05 PM
Spike

Speed equals power.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:44 AM

Heavy arrows hold more momentum than lighter arrows at longer diatances
which translates into greater penetration. It's accuracy not speed that kills.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:54 AM

ORIGINAL: MaddSkillz

Speed equals power.
That is a myth.......
Old 09-18-2006, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Speed equals power.
How's that gum-o-flage taste?If you bought that speed equals power,I know you bought gum-o-flage.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:11 AM

Speed equals power.
Even if it did, and it doesn't, power doesn't equal dead deer. A super sharp broadhead on an arrow flying straight into the kill zone on a deer, equals dead deer.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

You won't pick up much if you did. I shoot the same arrow weight and last I check it was over 280 out of about the same setup, a protec. I use theHunter elites. It's the way I set the bow up that gained the speed not the arrow. My brothers 06 shoots 10-20 fps less (factory setup). Same specs all the way around. Taken my arrow down to 394 and didn't show much more than a couple fps. It's giving all she's got and there aint no more.I didn't like it either.

Quick Reply: How Heavy Should My Arrows Be?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.