Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

mail order bows

Old 09-14-2006, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default mail order bows

I have been looking to purchase a new bow. In my search, I have found several on-line pro shops, as well as the major retailers are setting up and tuning your bow for you.

How is it possible for someone else to set up your bow, tune it, ship it and expect that it is going towork for you?One persons shootingform is most likely not the same as mine or yours. Thus makingpeep alignment, loop length, etc.....different.

I just don't get it.

Old 09-14-2006, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: mail order bows

Your right, it won't be near perfect.
BUT they could set the centershot and place the nock /loop in place.
Then set the sight so the pins are at least in line with the rest & string.

Iguess it is a decent option for someone with no proshop in the area.
Living in Spring, you have the BOWZONEat your disposal (lucky you).
Old 09-14-2006, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

i bought my bow from huntersfriend. only thing i adjusted was the sights. then i got my form developed...broke it in....and about 1000 shots later i had it retuned. the nock and rest were slightly off. lowered the peep and sights and i was good to go. but the first day out within my first 50arrows i robinhooded one at 15yds. not bad for the first day eh? im pleased..and saved money that i needed to save..sure now i dont have a proshop to call home..but between them retuning it and cutting my arrows and refletching them they already know me when they see me. were cutting me deals that day too. im just lucky enough not the have a GOOD proshop around lol. dont get me wrong its a good shop..just not "state of the art" or overly nice lol. and theres not a whole lot of demand truely. most the vehicles i see there are regulars that sit around and BS and use the indoor range.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

What's the difference between your scenario and the many guys who come on here with bows from "pro shops" that aren't set up any better. I don't see any difference. I know there are good ones, but they are few and very far in between. Either way you have to do your own work so what's the dif. Look at the Hoyt question asked here. The guy had to call someone in Texas to get straightened out.I get excellent help from Keystone country store. They give me thorough answers even at the cost of loosing the sale. I have not got that from anyone local. Not complaining, just telling it like it is.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Actually, when a bow is center shot and nock is set to proper place coupled with the rest, the bow is tuned, period. Out of a shooting machine, it'll shoot perfect. In the hands of a good shooter, form wise, it'll shoot pefect. The peep cannot be placed permanate, the loop can be, the sights set close and then fine adjustments need to be made once the peep is set for an individual.

If the arrows are flawed out of a perfectly tuned bow, it becomes an issue with a individuals form. The form needs to be worked on, not the bow. You can't argue with center shot. You can change nock point, some like slight nock high, some low. My Allegiance is set level and the bow is center shot, I moved nothing out of the perfect tune (laser/level) and it's shooting darts, field points, Muzzy and Snyper broadheads are flying like darts and all together.

Read Greg / MO's thread on setup using these tools.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:03 PM

The biggest issue with it is not getting a chance to shoot the bow before you buy it. And it can not be fitted to you over the net. Every bow is different. Just because you had X amount of draw length on your old bow don't expect the new one to be perfect. And never trust what the limbs or module say for draw length. They are often off. You need need to draw the bow several times and adjust the draw length until it is right. THEN measure it for future reference.

Every set up is slightly different.

This is what a good shop can do for you. No one on the internet is going to watch you draw the bow, then tweak it for you until it's right. Then again some shops won't do that either.

Paul
Old 09-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Great point Paul.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:45 AM

Holy crappy bad typing on that post, I think I need to do some editing.

Paul
Old 09-15-2006, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

with haste....get ye to a pro shop