Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Problem tuning bow- any suggestions? >

Problem tuning bow- any suggestions?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Problem tuning bow- any suggestions?

Old 09-12-2006, 08:05 PM

Default Problem tuning bow- any suggestions?

The last few times I've gone out shooting, I have become a bit frustrated at my patterns. Earlier this season, I had several upgrades done to my 2002 Mathews Legacy, including a new cam to allow me to shoot my proper draw length, new stings and cables, and a new Ripcord fall away rest.

After getting all of this set up at my local pro shop two months ago, I got the bow paper tuned and things seemed to be fine. I was shooting decent groups and expected to only get better as bow season approaches. Shortly thereafter, I had my arrows cut down about two and a half inches because I had about 3.5 to 4 inches of overhang. After getting the arrows re-sized, I didn't havethe proshop re-tune my bow because I was assured by one of the employees at the shop that the adjustment in arrow length would not affect the tuning of the bow.

Due to my sub par groupings as of late, I decided to venture down to the basement tonight and shoot through some paper to see how the arrows were leaving the bow. It was immediately evident that I was tail low and tail left. By moving my knocking point (string loop) up the string about 1/8 inch, I quickly corrected the tail low problem. However, I've moved my Ripcord arrow rest adjustment to the right until I've run out of adjustment, and I'm STILL tail left about 1/4 inch.I've alsoexperimented by gradually working the restto the left, away from the riser, and the problem only got worse, plus I could easily see that it was out of adjustment when I moved it in that direction.

Just a few last details... I'm shooting a 28 inch draw (28.5 with my string loop), about 65 pounds, and I'm shooting GoldTip XT 5575 arrows that are 27 inches long including the knock.

I think I'm going to endup taking it back to the pro shop to have them fix it, but does anybody have any suggestions on how I can correct this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:09 PM

Default RE: Problem tuning bow- any suggestions?

You may need to try out a different rest that offers greater horizontal adjustment.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:12 PM

WH- I wondered if that might be the case. Hopefully they'll swap another rest for me so I won't have to buy another one. I don't need two $100 rests for one bow. [&:]
Old 09-12-2006, 08:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

You may need to try out a different rest that offers greater horizontal adjustment.
I tend to disagree with this statement unless you cannot achieve center shot. You don't wan the arrow outside center shot, left or right otherwise the arrow is coming out of the bow with tail either left or right. Tail wipe. Get your rest back to center shot and work on not torquing the bow. The change in arrow length should not have effected left/right adjustments. Worst case, your spine has changed but wouldn't be as significant as your mentioning. It sounds to me, sorry to say it this way, it's user problems, work on your form, have someone stand behind you and see if your torquing the bow.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:37 PM

Rob, I was assuming from his original post that he has been unable to acheive center shot, thus the tearing furing the paper tuning process.

You may be right about it being a form problem though.

Jimbo, first thing I would do would be to take it into your local shop and see if they can't help you acheive center shot. If you do get the center shot problem figured and it doesn't fix the tear, see about getting someone to help you correct your form.

If you can't get the center shot problem down, see about getting yourself a new rest that allows for proper center shot.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:54 PM

Rob- thanks for your response. I'm 99% sure that I am not torquing the bow, but I will be sure to have the guys at the shop check this. I remember that the head guy and I had very similar tip/feather patterns when I had it tuned originally.

By the way, I'm not able to get my rest back to center shot. The furthest adjustment to the right is as close to center shot as I can get it.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

My draw length is the same as yours, and I shoot 60 lbs. I'm using 3555 cut to 26 1/4", tipped with 100grs points.

When you cut the arrows it really threw everything out of whack because they are now overspined (Gold Tip makes a stout arrow). My bow tech had the same problem. He was shooting 5575's out of a 67 lb bow and it was tearing funny. He used my arrows (when they were 28")and it shot bullet holes. I would say try using different arrows.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

There was my unless then.....and now Wash stands correct, it's either time for a new rest or, put spacers/shim in between the rest and the riser at the bolts to get the rest to come to center, that is important.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:32 PM

ORIGINAL: JimboHunter1
After getting the arrows re-sized, I didn't havethe proshop re-tune my bow because I was assured by one of the employees at the shop that the adjustment in arrow length would not affect the tuning of the bow.
That may be an archery shop, butthe individualthat gave you that advice is not aPro. Any change that you make to your bow will effect the tune to one degree or the other. Cutting 2 1/2" from your arrows will definitely change your tune.

You are close enough, take your bow to Len at Macrotech @ 5826 Govenor Ritchie Highway Baltimore -Phone: 410-789-7777. He is incredibly busy right now, so be prepared to wait.

You may need new arrows because the shorter arrows willact significantly stiffer than before you cut them. Or you may be able to simply use heavier points.

Good luck,
Allen

Old 09-13-2006, 02:35 PM

I definitely think you need to find center shot and go from there.

Did you remember that on the Ripcord you can actually remove the launcher with the set screws and change them according to your setup? This might help to achieve center shot.

You can move the Horizontal/Vertical adjustment block but you can also remove the launcher arm and relocate it on theshaftaccordingly.

Hope this might help.

***An added note, this rest should have come with the launcher arm in the far right position, if this is the case, then you are left with adjustment to the Horizontal/Vertical adjustment block to achieve moving center shot to the right***

Bols

Quick Reply: Problem tuning bow- any suggestions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.