Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 A quick bow setup how-to... >

A quick bow setup how-to...

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

A quick bow setup how-to...

Old 10-11-2006, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A quick bow setup how-to...

This might be a really dumb question...but has anyone tried doing this with a Mathews bow? Gotten good results? After reading this thread...I went and bought the levels, but I wanted to hold off on the much more expensive lazer until I heard something.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:53 AM
Typical Buck

r33h.. I'd skip the laser... If you eyeball the string down the idler and the back side of the cam... and line the arrow up w/ that.. you'll be much better off than w/ the laser... and $80-100 still in your pocket.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

bump for lung blood
Old 12-30-2006, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, great post. It really helped by giving me images to put to all tech I've read up about tuning and finding center shot, etc. Regardless of variations in the actual risers being parallel to the string path, I still think it's a worthwhile tool to have, and will have to pick on of these up. Great post...probably one of the most helpful and informative ones I've read.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:21 AM

And right now them Lazers can't be found. Won't be any available till 2007 [:@]
Old 12-30-2006, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks, Matt... I appreciate that, as does anyone I'm sure that goes to that much length to try to help someone out around here.

I had to chuckle at a story this month I read in one of my bowhunting mags I subscribe to (not sure if it was Petersen's Bowhunting, Bowhunter, or Bowhunting World). It listed all the tools a person needed to have in his collection for a home bow shop, and I'll be darned if just about every one of them wasn't mentioned in my post... Makes me wonder if the author stumbled across this and decided to put a review together for the magazine... [:-]
Old 12-30-2006, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great, more money to spend.

Good post Greg, I've been debating on getting those items myself.

One question that always bugs me about rest setup. Do you setup your bows to have the arrow pass through the center of the rest bolt holes, or with the bottom of the arrow centered on the holes? I've alway setup my bows with the bottom of the arrow centered on the holes. But, the recent debate about trying to get the arrow centered to the bow, I've been thinking twice about it.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:39 PM

Terrific post Greg, I was browsing the forum looking for setup tips and stumbled uponthis thread. Great read!Had tojoin up too! Btw, I just bought an 06 Alegiance. One word, SWEET
Old 12-30-2006, 03:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

have the arrow pass through the center of the rest bolt holes
This is the way I interpret the desires of most manufacturer's instructions as I read them.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

SORRY GUYS I am going have to shed some light on this subject.

The Lazer will only work if your riser is machined perfectly square with the path of the cams and most bows are not.It seems that the Bowtecs are ,atleast from some of the info I have gathered,they are.You say to run it up with the path of the string,what if the path of the string doesn't run vertical but rather at a slight angle as many do.

The Spott hog lazer is a more accurate way to align centershot.You are able to put the lazer on the CAMS/CAM,where centershot is determined.You can also check from top to bottom cam to see if the string runs straight between them or there is cam lean that needs to be adjusted out.

String levels are also not a very accurate way to checksome single cam bows because the string runs at an angle from top to bottom.

The final equation is what is it doingAT FULL DRAW.When you add the stresswhen a bow is drawn,many will change.The most accurate adjustments need to be made at full draw.ESPECIALLY some of the short a-a bows.

MY POINT BEING,don't relySOLELY on the gadgets.Sometimes they CAN BE GREAT but other times,they are a joke.They are a STARTING POINT for SOME BOWS.

Greg/Mo this is notin anyway intended as a stab at you.It is clear that your sole intention is to help out other archers/hunters.Even you made the disclamer yourself that you are no expert.NEITHERAM I.

I do,howeverhave a friend that tunes bows for WORLD RECORD holders in the sport of archery at distances of up to90 meters.The last bow I took to him of mine was tuned by me and when he checked it on his shooting machine,he told me it was almost perfect and I don't own a lazer but he uses the Spott-hog lazer at full draw.Not trying to bost but just giving some background,this guy has forgotten more than I will ever know.

Quick Reply: A quick bow setup how-to...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.