Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Mathews Limbs

Old 11-09-2002, 10:35 AM

Default Mathews Limbs

Just a quick question, for arguments sake. I had some problems with my Mathews Q2XL this year with limbs splitting. I figure about any make bow will have problems after shooting a year at 5 grains (literally thousands of shots). I replaced them in July and when drawing the limb bolts down I heard a cracking sound. I then took the bow back apart and the limb was cracked approx. 1 1/2" up from the cut-out in the limb where the limb bolt goes through. Needless to say I sent them back to Mathews and they sent me another set. Upon reassembly, with the string and cable not even being on the bow I drew the limbs down and both cracked exactly the same as the previous ones. Well by this time I was questioning something else being wrong so I got Mathews to send me another set of limbs, new limb pockets and new limb bolts. The day they arrived our Mathews rep. just happened to be at our shop and I had him look over everything and he actually put the bow together himself. I'll let you guess what happened, yes the limbs cracked when they were drawn down. He called Matt McPherson himself and Matt said that the cracks wouldn't affect the performance of the bow. How could it not? This is a 70 lb. bow and after all this it would at the best reach 68 pounds, but nothing's wrong? Seems to me if you take a solid piece of any material and have it crack even as small an amount as 1-1/2" it isn't going to be as strong as it once was. Am I crazy? Can anyone help enlighten me on this? Thanks

>>>------------>
Pinmaster - At Home In The 11 Ring!
>>>------------>
Old 11-09-2002, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mathews Limbs

I'm not saying this as a Mathew's bash but I'll direct this towards any bow company and any limb composition.

I don't forsee it affecting the "performance" as far as speed is concerned but more of a reliability issue and moreso very unsafe. I'd be willing to bet that in time it would blow up and possibly hurt you or someone else....

I've never heard any bow manufacturer say that cracks are o.k. unless they just don't want to help you any more.

I personally would never shoot any bow with a cracked limb unless maybe if I was on a big hunt somewhere without a back up bow and no means to fix the one I'm using. Last resort...

Now, this statment is directed towards Mathews...Actually Matt McPherson himself...I'd ask myself "Would Matt himself shoot the bow this way?" I think the answer to that is fairly clear...JMHO...
Old 11-09-2002, 12:26 PM
Typical Buck

I'm a Mathews shooter and I would EXPECT an immediate replacement.

Bowhunter
Old 11-09-2002, 04:56 PM
VBM

I too am a Mathews shooter and I would not only expect new limbs but an entirely new bow. It is not realistic to have that many bad limbs. There most likely is somthing wrong with the bow itself.
Old 11-09-2002, 09:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

ditto, ditto, and ditto all the above comments.

Discipline -- not desire -- determines destiny.
Old 11-10-2002, 10:25 AM

So I guess that Mathews is OK with the split limb design now as long as you do it yourself .
Sorry,couldn't resist
Scott

Edited by - sdzumbro on 11/10/2002 11:29:41
Old 11-11-2002, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I jumped on the mathews bandwagon this year and haven't had to rely on their customer service--sounds like i better keep my fingers crossed that i don't have to call them for anything.Oh,well--lately it that if it weren't for bad luck i'd have no luck at all.Sorry to here they don't care about customer safety--especially since i'm one of their customers!BUMMER!
Old 11-11-2002, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

sdzumbro- thats too funny- guess there coming around to the split limb technology.

After I had my limbs replaced under warranty my 70# mathews Z-light maxed out at 67#. I was kinda p-oed, but didn't check it until I got home and was glad to have my bow back.

I hope the new limbs and pockets and bolts were covered under warranty.

Cracks in limbs are ok??? since when.My co-worker just bought a new Q2 and it had cracks in the riser. The shop sent it back to mathews and they sent it back as was, saying the cracks were only in the paint coating. My butt, if I spend over $600.00 on a new bow-I don't want to see cracks in the limbs or risers.

Maybe if they switched their camo to that "cracked" spray paint looking stuff they sell at home depot- they could camo their cracks from us.

Old 11-11-2002, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

Pinmaster,

That's the strangest story I ever heard about Mathews.
Unreal, how many limbs you have went through on that bow.
That bow must be way out of specs for that to continue to happen.
Ask for a new one!
I know of a guy a few years ago that went through 13 sets of limbs on his Mach 6.
But...
Come to find out he was shooting 3 grains per lb and blowing them up.
His dealer just kept telling PSE that the limbs were from different bows.

Sag.

Old 11-15-2002, 07:19 PM

Sag,
I bought this bow new over 2 years ago when the Q2XL was first introduced and never had problem 1 with it till now. I shoot 3-39 ACC's weighing 347-350 grains at what used to be 69 or 70 lbs. (basically right at 5 grains). This was strictly a 3D bow.

>>>------------>
Pinmaster - At Home In The 11 Ring!
>>>------------>

Quick Reply: Mathews Limbs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.