Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Broadhead Flight >

Broadhead Flight

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead Flight

Old 08-24-2006, 07:53 PM

Default Broadhead Flight

I bought a new Bowtech Tribute over the summer and have been shooting about 100-150 arrows a week for the last month or so with field tips. The bow was easy to tune and sight in. I have been able to hit 2" circles consistantly from 45 yards. I put my Muzzy 3-blade 100gr. broadheads on today and I'm all over the target at 20 yards. I have weighed all of my arrows again, shot them all through the paper tuner, and everything I know to do. Everything looks great, except for the groups in the target. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of fishtailing, just not flying straight. Never had this problem before, please help.

Bowtech Tribute 30" draw 69#
Carbon Express 300 30"
Muzzy 3-Blade 100gr.
QS Deluxe Whisker Biscuit
Trophy Ridge Matrix Guide Series Sights
Old 08-25-2006, 10:05 AM

Default RE: Broadhead Flight

Anyone?
Old 08-25-2006, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

A couple things come to mind real quick. Do you have helical or offset fletching on the arrows? They need to spin to stabilize it, especially with broadheads.If they aren't then the arrows with blades on the front can drift all over the place, which is what you are seeing. Have you checked the alignment of your broadheads to the shaft by spin-testing?

Oh yeh, and what size and type of fletching. Vanes or feathers used for target work do not have enough surface area to do the job with broadheads unless your setup is tuned to perfection, and even then it can be iffy.

Just a couple things to check.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Agreed.
Gotta spin-test them, and keep them rotating in flight with the fletch.

For fixed blade broadheads, I always use helical of at least 4".
I'd use 5", bu tthey won't clear my rest.
The loss of speed from the increased drag of the 5 inchers doesn't really affect the speed until you get a ways downrange, past where I would shoot at game. Stability is good, especially when you have mr Murphy following you around in the woods.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also, I'm very happy to see more people actually testing their broadhead flight. It's not always been part of some people's prep time, but it really is valuable, at least if you want drag an animal out of the woods instead of spending hours blootrailing only to lose it, or having to go home and tell guys about the one you missed.

Kudos to the wise bowhunters who practice as they will hunt.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:51 PM

I use 4" Feathers with a right helical fletch on both field tips and broadheads. I have never had problems before switching from field tips to the muzzy 3 blades. By spin testing them do you mean checking to see if the ends of the shafts are cut square and the insert is properly aligned in the shaft? If so I haven't tried that yet but I will.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Broad head Flight

try cutting one arrow down 1/4 inch to stiffing spin even tho a broad head
may be the same weight it is longer and you may have been right on the edge and getting away with it on a Field point
Old 08-28-2006, 10:32 PM
Awi

Did you tune your bow or did someone else tune it? I have seen this with my own eyes,A good friend of mine tuned my bow for me once upon a time.I seen the perfect bullethole he put in the paper.I shot the same paper with him there.No bullet hole when I shot.Only thing is I can figure out is how he grips a bow and how I grip a bow.I tune my own bow after that.And the spin test is good too. Id say it is possible to find the one that spins the best and you'll probably be closer to target.Does anyone know why some arrows spin better than other?Lets say its not your broadhead all of them are perfect.The shaft where it was cut off is not exacly square and or the insert is not exactly square.Thats why I buy bare shafts cut them off inch and half on the knock end and the rest on the insert end,and on top of that I use the arrow squaring device by G5 I square my arrow when it come out of the saw and then I square my insert.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:53 AM

i don't tune my bow to hit the same spot w/ blades and field pts. i'm fixin to tune the switchback to blades, and after that i could care less where my field points hit - or even if they do somersaults on their way to the target. generally i have about a 2" difference in impact pt., sometimes its perfect w/ fp's. i guess i'm saying to tune it to your broadheads. its a hunting bow.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

If they are all over it's most likely your fault. Your not shooting the thing well. If they are doing one thing consistantly, diving left or right or what everthen it's the equipment. I'm with gibblet. tune for one or the other.

Quick Reply: Broadhead Flight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.