Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 too fast for fixed heads? >

too fast for fixed heads?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

too fast for fixed heads?

Old 08-09-2006, 06:15 PM
Spike

Default too fast for fixed heads?

i was just wondering if there is a point in which you are shooting to fast for good arrow flight with fixed broadheads. my bow shop tried telling me this, so i want to see your opinion and if you still are shooting fixed what works for you. I am shooting around 270fps. thanks

[/align]
Old 08-09-2006, 06:58 PM

Default RE: too fast for fixed heads?

I haveseen magnus stingers and steelforce BH's shot from 285-310 fps with the same impact as their field point counterparts. I truely believe that if your bow is tuned properly, your arrows are spined correctly,the BH spins true to the shaft,and your form is true -- that fixed-blades can be shot at any speed.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've successfully driven tacks with Muzzy's in upper 290's....Honestly with a quality tuned bow/matched arrow combo, I doubt you couldn't tune most fixed blade heads to do the same, if there is a speed at which you can no longer tune fix blade heads, I don't know what that speed is. If your shop cannot do that, they are pushing mechanicals and either don't know how or want to put the time in to do it.....
Old 08-09-2006, 08:26 PM

Some of the great big heads designed for trad bows may not work, such as the Magnus Snuffer, but like Rob said, everything being tuned well, you will have no problem. My bow shoots bullets at 295 fps, and an arrow tipped w/ a Magnus Stinger hits the X every time...
Old 08-13-2006, 02:50 PM
Spike

sweet, thanks for all you help
Old 08-13-2006, 03:42 PM

People will generally say fixed heads, especially large profile ones get a bit iffy around 270-280 fps. That doesn't mean it can't be done though. If you have good well matched arrows and very well tuned bow and good form I have no doubt you can shoot any head well at any speed.

If you have cheap poorly matched arrows and not that great of form it may be hard to do though.

Paul
Old 08-13-2006, 03:48 PM

All I can say is if you are tuned up correctlyyou should have no problem.
My new Phantoms cut-on-contact are shooting as good and anything else I have,fixed Muzzy and mechanicals,and my bow is no piker when itcomes to poundage and speed.

It does sound like a case ofthem being "not all that Pro in a Pro Shop/pushing what they sell" to me.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:47 AM

The key to good broadhead flight is a proper spined arrow that has a high FOC and a good amount of fletch. This combination will not only do well in controlled "arrow tuning" conditions, but will benefit you while hunting in crosswinds or when hitting small twigs/grass. As long as you keep these parameters within a certain range, you can probably shoot 1000 fps without problems. The difficulty is always coming up with this combination and have it be a light arrow. To make the arrow stiff enough to handle the high FOC, you generally end up with something that is too heavy to be a real speed demon. Fortunately, speed is not an important factor while hunting.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:34 PM

i shoot about 305 and am using magnus stingers; they impact right where i aim... although i do notice that it takes greater shooting abilities to shoot higher speeds... some say well i can't tune my bow at 70 pounds when in reality they can't shoot that much weight consistanly... nevertheless, what i am saying is, shoot a weight/speed you can handle and everything else will work out fine regardless of the size of your broadhead!!!
Old 08-14-2006, 06:24 PM

I shoot 25"ST Axis with Blazers and a 100gr Muzzy 3 and 4 blade.My POI is left of ctr bull by about 3". With FP's I'm clipping arrows. What's my prob? I pay close attention toalways keeping a loosegrip and my release is very consistant. I do not punch. Assistancewith this would be greatly appreciated.I

Quick Reply: too fast for fixed heads?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.