Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Does my DL look too long? >

Does my DL look too long?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Does my DL look too long?

Old 07-18-2006, 10:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Does my DL look too long?

but if your happy with the way your shooting and your consistant i wouldnt worry about it too much
Old 07-19-2006, 04:24 AM

there are 2 places to get the dl correct - 1 is up front and the other is in back.the first you can't control with a loop - it has to do with how far your bow pulls. if its not too short of an ata bow and you're nottoo tall- the string should touch the tip of your nose when you get to full draw position. a loop no matter how long or short will not and can not change this. you should not place your nose on the string - it should place itself on your nose with your head up right. in some situations, like me shooting a 33" ata bowwith a severe string angle - i can never get my nose on the string without being severely over drawn or really bending my neck - which i refuse to do. now a fellow who is 5' 6" won't have an issue with it. that's one of the reasons i shoot a no-peep on my hunting bow.
anyway the 2nd place is your release forearm. it should be in a straight plane with the arrow - or a little short of straight for hunting - but not more than straight. both of these offer a limited range of independent manipulation to get just right thru dl and loop manipulation.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep c-woods hit it. Your hand should be anchor under your check bone as in the next pic. Yours is way behind your ear. Your shoulder is high from stretching it out which is also causing you to lean back. Things adjustable, play with it. I use a wrist strap and open up my hand. Looks like a good inch too long.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd shorten it an inch, try and bring your hand close to the back of your jaw - It doesnt really matter WHERE you anchor, and long as you do it every time. I personally prefer the knuckle of my index finger right under my ear when using an index finger release, and the space between my index and middle finger knuckles ont he back of my jawbone for a backtension or thumb trigger.

Like you, I keep my bow arm straight - I've tried putting a slight bend in it, but I found I'm a little inconsistant like that - I just keep my shoulder low and dont lock my elbow, and I've never had any problems with hunting clothes contact.

I just shortened my draw 3/8", and my bow now holds much steadier - you'd be surprised what a tiny adjustment in draw will do for your shooting!
Old 07-19-2006, 02:56 PM

I'm no expert by far but I'll give you my opinion.

1- I would suggest opening up your stance a bit. Rotate your torso to your right a few inches. It seems weird at first but you will get used to it and it helps eliminate the string slapping your arm.

2- It looks like you front elbow is pretty straight. See if you can put a slight bend in it.

3- Shoulder looks high. Try dropping it like Rick suggested.

4- Your draw looks to be about an inch too long. If you do the first two suggestions, it will definately be too long. You will have to shorten it at least an inch and try it out.

These are just some things that I have done and I am shooting better than ever. Just my $0.02.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:39 PM

It looks long to me. Other wise not bad. Your form looks pretty good other than the draw length. At least your leaning back and tipping your head into the string. Like the others said, your draw hand just looks like it's too far back. Heck a shorter release might solve the problem. Or tighten that one up so it doesn't slide half way down your hand. Try a hand held release once and see where your hand ends up, I bet it will be about right. And that is what you should try for with your wrist release.

Your grip doesn't look relaxed at all either, but it's hard to tell from a picture. Your release hand is nice and relaxed which is good. While it isn't perfect, I don't doubt for minute you couldn't shoot well that way. That is about the way I was set up when I first started and I shot pretty well once I got used to my bow. As long as you do everything consistantly every time it really doesn't matter.

My biggest concern is you have a bow at full draw with an arrow nocked and your finger on the trigger inside your house. I really hope there is some sort of target or backstop in front of you.

Paul
Old 07-19-2006, 03:43 PM

liek the others said i woudl take about 1/2 inch off start there see if its more comfortable, 2 of the biggest problems folks have is a too long a draw length and to much poundage on thier bow. to me looking at the picture you dont look relaxed, it looks a little to long your anchoring almost behind your neck, not a very good anchor point.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

It's always better to shoot too short than it is too long, you look pretty good, minus the midriff... worst case, I'd say 3/4 inch too long, how's it shooting? Hitting your arm? Throw on a heavy coat and see if your hitting it?
Old 07-19-2006, 07:51 PM

Thanks for all the replys, gentlemen! I appreciate it. I was at the shop tonight, and unfortunately the heat kept everybody home so we were dead slow. But I took the opportunity to work on things. First, I put on a shorter loop. That helped quite a bit. Then I worked hard on dropping my front shoulder down. Suddenly everything seemed way out in front of me. I haven't shot a photo of it yet to see what it looks like, but the combination of those 2 has certainly brought my anchor forward.

Rob, there's no need to be jealous. I'm sure your midriff is equally as sexy as mine! The bow shoots great! I get very tight groups and I don't ever hit my arm. I'm not about to put a heavy coat on today, it's 105 for cryin out loud!!!

Paul, I know it's difficult to tell in the photo, but my bow hand is actually very relaxed.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

It's always good to see someone that asks for advice and then takes said advice...many jump to defend....like your midriff.

Quick Reply: Does my DL look too long?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.