Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Does my DL look too long? >

Does my DL look too long?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Does my DL look too long?

Old 07-18-2006, 06:34 PM

Default Does my DL look too long?

I took this shot of my form this evening. Something just doesn't look right, but I can't quite pick out what it is. I think my DL is too long.

This is what I see, confirm or deny. I think I am pretty upright, my back and head are straight. My grip is relaxed, both on the bow grip and release. My anchor looks long, but I have that "T" shape. But I am quite comfortable.

Old 07-18-2006, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Does my DL look too long?

I'll tell you what doesn't look right, your showing off your midriff like your Britney Spears.
Seriously though, your body positioning looks good but your anchor point and the knock of the arrow appear to be to far back which would indicate to much DL. I would say about 3/4'' to 1''.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:26 PM

Man!! I knew that was gonna come up! I thought about cropping that out, but it wouldn't have shown my posture very well. I just didn't think the FIRST reply would point that out....

I just wish my midriff LOOKED like Brittney's does......[&o]
Old 07-18-2006, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know what is going on with your draw length right now, because other things have to be changed first in my opinion that are going to possibly make what you have around the right length. Your front shoulder is collapsed and VERY high. The draw length looks long the way it is, but once you bottom out that shoulder the draw length may be spot on, you will gain draw length by changing this. Bottoming that shoulder will be much more consistent than allowing it to bunch up in a high position like that.

Here is a picture of my friend Cory with that shoulder much lower and in the bottomed out position as an example for you.

My coach taught me to do this on the blank bale, and to set that shoulder position as part of the draw seqence. Before drawing, I hold the bow up to aquire the target, lean forward and reach with the bow hand to the target, set the front shoulder position low and bottomed out, then draw back and settle into the full draw position. What I see in your pic is VERY similar to what I was doing before I started working with him and I experienced a lot of muscle fatigue in that front shoulder after a day of several hundred shots...........because I was using muscle to stabilize that shoulder in that position instead of bone. Bottoming that shoulder in combination with proper bow hand position (yours looks good enough) will allow you to get a much straighter bow arm than most can get without hitting your arm with the string. Change this, then take pics from the side like that and from the rear that show where your elbow is in relation to the arrow shaft and that will allow me to tell if your draw length is correct according to what I have been taught. I can tell you with these changes, you are within probably 3/4 of an inch of where you should be, probably much closer. As you sit now though without these changes you are overdrawn a bit when I look at that rear elbow.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only other problem I see is that you are not holding a Mathews.......[8D]

That alone would allow you to gain at least 10 points on your indoor and 3D scores instantly, and would make that midriff look like a washboard. (j/k )
Old 07-18-2006, 08:19 PM

See, that's why I am a little leary of you anyway....You Mathews guys gotta be perfect to make up for an inferior bow......

j/k as well......but it's funny!!
Old 07-18-2006, 08:29 PM
bigcountry

My shoulder looks the exact same. Its way my body is made. It doesn't get any straigher on me. I would say its 1" too long or so. Should be parrellel with the arrow in my opinion.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

It might not seem to long when you are drawing it back at home in your PJs, but when you are all bundled up in the cold weather with heavy clothingwaiting for that buck of a lifetime, your draw length will be to long....[&:]
Old 07-18-2006, 08:59 PM

Rick, thank you, my friend. I appreciate your effort very much!! That was very clever, and above and beyond if you ask me!!!

antler, I know what you mean!! But then again, that's what I wear when it's freezing out.....NOT! [&:]
Old 07-18-2006, 10:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

also could your anchor point be too low?

Quick Reply: Does my DL look too long?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.