Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 best penatration >

best penatration

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

best penatration

Old 07-17-2006, 11:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: best penatration

I have had good luck using the bear 2 blades with the inserts.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:28 PM

The Rocket Steelhead has been proven time and time again to out-penetrate every broadhead it was put up against....It is just most people do not believe it...............................
Old 07-17-2006, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Read this.The most in-depth study ofbroadheads, penetration, and arrow lethality I've ever seen.A traditional cut-on-contact two blade is best for penetration according to this guy who's studied hundreds of bow kills.

http://www.tradgang.com/ashby/

Old 07-17-2006, 07:05 PM

demo,,,If I only had a nickle for every miss due to yardage mis-judgement.......speed does away with some of those misses within10 to 40 yards and remember the formula, speed squared times mass divided by 450240 gives ke,,,,(speed squared not mass squared) all things being equal 30ftlbs will put an arrow thru a deer, but 65 to 100 ftlbs will smash bones and all with the right broadhead.....
Old 07-17-2006, 07:25 PM

Well read your report, did not see a single mech in the group especially a Rocket Steelhead...Some of those broadheads should be in a museum for out-dated equipment and alot of them are not even being made now(Andersons).Miles Keller did one of the last tests that I read on the Steelhead and from dead steer hinds to ballistic gel to plywood to steel drums the Steelhead out-performed all of them....
Old 07-17-2006, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

For best penetration on heavy game, I would recommend as the others have to maximize your KE with what you are shooting and look for a good quality cut on contact head with a 1-3 ratio. This will give you the best penetration possible, and if you can find one with an open design, you should have very good flight with them, and have minimal planing. I switched to razorcaps because of their open truss like design. I blew through elk scapulas and bear spines with ease and minimal damageto the broad heads. The 1-3 ratio should easily wedge through heavy bone as long as the material the head is made from is rather hard. I have no doubts that this combo will take on the heaviest of bones in a 700 pound bull............No doubt mechanicals will take down big animals, but I want the extra insurance. Sometimes it is hard to out do old school technology, especially in cases where we are less than perfect, and I make my share of mistakes.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:37 PM
Fork Horn

I agree about the rockets the only thing is if one blade opens in the the arrow goes all over it canhappen to any mechanicalthats why I use fixed blades
Old 07-18-2006, 06:19 AM
Spike

The Rocket Steelhead

Someone post an image please?
Old 07-18-2006, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

A 2 blade head will penitrate better than a 3 blade head will penitrate better than a 4 blade head .

A cut on contact head will penitrate better than a trocar tip , unless it curls .

What elkcrazy said is very true allso a steep angle [short] head has a harder time penitrateing than a longer gradule angle blade.

A smaller diamiter arrow will make a big diferance in penitration allso , compared to a 24-25 series arrow .

Knowing those things a 2 blade cut on contact , like magnus stinger , or steelfource are great for penitration with lower ke bows , useing a small diamiter arrow shaft and you will have , the best penitrateing arrow posable .

2 holes [a passthru] are allways better than one with an arrow stuck in it , make tracking easyer , putting the arrow in the right spot is a given.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: demoIL

For penetration you need a heavier arrow and a bow that will shoot it.. With that said I like the muzzy 3 blade

I'm actually looking for new arrows now and the ones I've been using are 10.7 grains and I'd like to stay in that range.
KE is so important for hunting, more so than speed is...
Speed is very important when it comes to Kinetic energy. Its about a 2:1 ratio. IE if you increase your weight 25 grns but loose 10-12 fps, your dont help your ke. So keep speed in mind when you choose an arrow.

Quick Reply: best penatration

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.