HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Idler wheel tilting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/147819-idler-wheel-tilting.html)

stinkbelly 07-13-2006 10:25 AM

Idler wheel tilting

I have a matthews switchback xt and I might have a problem. My idler wheel is tilting really far at full draw. At rest, it is straight. At full draw, it seems to be out of plane with the string by about 1/4 inch. I was wondering how many of you have this or know anything about this. Is it a problem?

Saxman1819 07-13-2006 11:58 AM

RE: Idler wheel tilting

I don't want to hijack a thread so if someone answers his question could you also include a picture of the idler wheel? I don't know what it is. Thanks.

Rick James 07-13-2006 12:27 PM

This is not common w/ Mathews, I tune a lot of them and it is somewhat common to see a little lean, but it is barely noticable and should be tuned to disappear once at full draw. This is a draw back of a cable slide, or roller guard. Bring it to your dealer that you bought it from and they will fix it/tune it for you. Sounds like the split yoke needs to be twisted up a bit.

KodiakArcher 07-13-2006 01:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Saxman1819

I don't want to hijack a thread so if someone answers his question could you also include a picture of the idler wheel? I don't know what it is. Thanks.
It's the wheel on the top limb of a single cam bow.

Problem could also be bad shims or bearings. I'd have the proshop pull and inspect the idler and then, if it's okay, have them tune the lean out by loading one side of the yoke more than the other.

gibblet 07-14-2006 05:04 AM

i'm glad you said the full draw thing rickjames. to me it sounds like someone made it look right at rest and it was probably too many twists on the right side of the yoke (for a righty bow) - and when the bow gets drawn the string may actually be coming off the complete other way.

i run into this frequently when 1st time installers call me - and i always tell them to just put a few extra twists in one side - that making it look perfect at rest is probably too far.

stinkbelly 07-17-2006 05:30 AM

I had the bow shop adjust it so that it was in plane with the string at full draw. It didn't make any difference to the flight of the arrows.

thanks

Elkcrazy8 07-17-2006 10:06 PM

It should be checked at full draw, however there are some rules of thumb that can be used at rest. I switched to another bow company but still remember the 2 models of mathews that i had. On the LX with a straight edge on the side of the idler wheel, the straight edge should bisect the string 4.5 to 5 inches down. The legacy was to be set with the stright edge parallel to the string. You or someone may want to call mathews and find out what it is for the switchback, that I can't tell you. I got my info straight from a tech at Mathews from over the phone. Until I set the LX to the lean that was recommended, I could never get a good tune on the arrow. After twisting the yoke, the bow shot like a dream and serving wear greatly reduced under the roller guards and on the bottom cam. All the models will be a little different as with different ata and such, different amounts of energy are exerted sideways while the bow is being drawn.

Snood Slapper 07-22-2006 07:25 PM

Saxman, I was going to post this the other day, but the website I was getting it from was down. Hope this still is of help to ya:

mobow 07-22-2006 08:11 PM

We saw one of these just today. This dude recently had new string and cables put on his Switchback and the idler was leaning, quite badly I might add. I'm pretty new at "bow teching" and even I could see it. It was leaning right, so we twisted the left split yoke cable, mounted on the outside of the limb next to the idler, 3 times and pulled it back straight. Shoots like a charm, now.

Yet ANOTHER reason to stay away from Mm.....Ma......I can't even say it.....:D:D:D

Rick James 07-22-2006 08:47 PM

Every bow will do this if you install the cable wrong and don't put in appropriate twists. My Patriot did it before I was ablet to tune it out also.