HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   What in the HE double hockey stick am I doing wrong??!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/145337-what-he-double-hockey-stick-am-i-doing-wrong.html)

mobow 06-17-2006 11:42 AM

What in the HE double hockey stick am I doing wrong??!!

Ok, this back tension thing is REALLY, REALLY beginning to aggravate me. I practice w/ my string loop all the time and have no problems at all. I hook up to my bow and boy oh boy.......nothing works right.

It doesn't seem to me I should have to contract my muscles that damn hard to get that thing to fire, and in fact, there are times when nothing I do can make it go off. That is, until I let down to restart the shot.....then it goes off, sure.......arrow goes only god knowswhere. Then, there is the OCCASIONAL time when it works perfectly, but they are few and far between. I have loosened my grip on the release, relaxed my arms, shortened my DL, nothing works. I am obviously doing something wrong, but I have no idea what.

I've set the release a little lighter, but then it goes off when I am at half draw. So I set it just a tick heavier, and it won't fire. I know the most common problem is a DL that is too long, but is it possible mine is too SHORT?? I ask because my rope loop is a bit longer and it works very well. Hell, I don't know, but it shouldn't be that hard to get that baby to release.

To be honest, I'm just about to give it up.

hardcorehunter 06-17-2006 01:48 PM

RE: What in the HE double hockey stick am I doing wrong??!!

I didn't know that the regular release method of pulling a trigger needed improved on.
HCH[/align]

Rick James 06-17-2006 03:10 PM

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Ok, this back tension thing is REALLY, REALLY beginning to aggravate me. I practice w/ my string loop all the time and have no problems at all. I hook up to my bow and boy oh boy.......nothing works right.

It doesn't seem to me I should have to contract my muscles that damn hard to get that thing to fire, and in fact, there are times when nothing I do can make it go off. That is, until I let down to restart the shot.....then it goes off, sure.......arrow goes only god knowswhere. Then, there is the OCCASIONAL time when it works perfectly, but they are few and far between. I have loosened my grip on the release, relaxed my arms, shortened my DL, nothing works. I am obviously doing something wrong, but I have no idea what.

I've set the release a little lighter, but then it goes off when I am at half draw. So I set it just a tick heavier, and it won't fire. I know the most common problem is a DL that is too long, but is it possible mine is too SHORT?? I ask because my rope loop is a bit longer and it works very well. Hell, I don't know, but it shouldn't be that hard to get that baby to release.

I would love to see video of you shooting this thing, then I could help a good bit. It could be honestly anything, very difficult to determine without video or seeing in person. If you really want to make the commitment to BT, get a coach and expect 6 months of sloooooow progress at the soonest.

hardcorehunter 06-17-2006 03:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Rick James

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

I would love to see video of you shooting this thing, then I could help a good bit. It could be honestly anything, very difficult to determine without video or seeing in person. If you really want to make the commitment to BT, get a coach and expect 6 months of sloooooow progress at the soonest.

Is this something that a hunter shooting at a deer out of a treestand at 15 yds out to 50yds or goes to 10 or so3D shoots a year needs to get into
HCH[/align]

cataway 06-17-2006 03:56 PM

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

I didn't know that the regular release method of pulling a trigger needed improved on.
HCH
[/align]
young minds fresh ideas me must be tolerant

JOE PA 06-17-2006 04:21 PM

Hardcore:

The back tension type of release is used by target shooters to deliver a surprise release, letting the shooter concentrate on aiming, and not anticipating when the release will go off. In Mo's case, it seems like the surprise thing is getting out of hand.[&:] I'm told that few very accomplished target shooters trigger releases, but I've seen a few. I've tried it and didn't do well with it either, but I don't have time to devote to being a good target shooter. I hunt, and shoot maybe 10-12 3Ds a year, mostly with my boys, and without binoculars. Someone like Rick James could probably give you a much better answer to your question though. Good luck, Mo. It aint easy, especially that going off at half draw thing.[:@]

GGBH 06-17-2006 06:19 PM

The first question is, Does your release have a clicker on it. In other words do you rotate the release until it clicks then aim and use back tension to make it fire. This type is the easiest kind to learn how to use. My Zenith came with a practice cam that lets you similate a shot using your bow. Im thinking that you may be locking down your index finger so tight that the release will not pivot enought to make it fire. The clicker type lets the release head drop down on a .008 shelf from there the back tension makes it fall off of the shelf and fire. As long as it doesent click the first time it cant misfire, unless you have it set too loose to start with. Hope this gives you a better understanding of how these things work. The suggestion of getting a coach is a very good one,
. GGBH

stretchhunts 06-17-2006 06:48 PM

Anyone live near Don in Central MO? Go give him and hand learning how to do this. Help him out.:D I think you should stick with it. You will figure it out.:)

mobow 06-17-2006 08:41 PM

The first question is, Does your release have a clicker on it
Well, now that you mention it, I suppose it does. I have wondered what the tick was when I drew back.

Im thinking that you may be locking down your index finger so tight that the release will not pivot enought to make it fire.
Yeah, that could be. My index finger was pretty sore after todays......let's call it challenge. I also think.....now that I'm not upset and thinking clearly.......that I am pulling across my back w/ my elbow and not truly pulling through w/ my back. Like I said, sometimes it works beautifully. I am just unsure of what I did to make it work.....[&:] My rope loop works like a charm every time.....confusing......

I think you should stick with it. You will figure it out
LOL........oh sure....you just want my Hurricane.....:D Seriously though, thanks for the encouraging words. I think I will too. I knew it wasn't going to be easy, and I knew it was going to take hard work and quite a bit of time. I dunno, though.....this is getting .......absurd......I'm gonna give it another go tomorrow.

mobow 06-17-2006 08:44 PM

Oh, and special thanks to Rick James for working w/ me on this. I appreciate it.