Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 What in the HE double hockey stick am I doing wrong??!! >

What in the HE double hockey stick am I doing wrong??!!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What in the HE double hockey stick am I doing wrong??!!

Old 06-18-2006, 08:41 PM

Default RE: What in the HE double hockey stick am I doing wrong??!!

so, how do you do with a 2 finger?
Old 06-19-2006, 02:07 AM

I don't like the way they feel in my hand. I tried one once at a shop. It went off ok, I just didn't like the way it felt. I like 4 finger releases, 3 fingers are ok, but two feels "wrong" when I draw the bow.

And I don't claim to be an expert archer or am I saying it wouldn't take you a while to completely master back tension, for some maybe it would. But for most if it took 10 months to 2 years to figure one out they would quit, I'm quite sure of it. And if you told them that to begin with they would be doomed from the start.

His problem is not mastering it and becoming a top level shooter. He is having trouble the with the basics like drawing it, getting it to go off and letting down. This is something you should get in a few sessions. If I had to a year being in fear to draw my bow or let it down I would probably never be able to hit my target again, even if I did get the hang of it eventually.

Paul
Old 06-19-2006, 07:10 AM

yeah, i'll stick with larry's advice, and experience.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:21 PM

It is alot easier to learn backtension with less let off than 80%. It helps to physically know what muscles are involved in the process. I learned by shooting traditional bows with fingers (snap shooting doesn't count). If you have access to a lower weight recurve (35 to 40lb.) you can draw it back and hold it until you feel the burn in your back muscles. Saves you from the humiliating experience of punching yourself in the face.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:39 PM

So gibblet are you telling us it took you a year to be able to draw your bow and let it down without it going off? Or that you can't hit anything you aim at? Or that you have no control over the release? I am finding that hard to believe. My girlfriend did it in an afternoon. She isn't a world class archer, but she doesn't punch herself in the face when she shoots either.

And I'm not giving you advice, Im giving mobo my opinion based one what I have seen and tried. It sounds like he is so turned off by the idea now that it doesn't matter anyway.

Paul
Old 06-19-2006, 03:47 PM

it takes time. someone should expect it to take 8 months to 2 years to master. yep, i've punched myself a couple times. don't do it anymore, and my release isn't set as light as it used to be either. it takes quite a while for a person to isolate the rhomboid. that is pure back tension. there are other methods that are called back tension, and are to some extent, that take much less time. it would be much better for a person to get some instruction, and realize that if they want to do it they need to be prepared to be in it for the long haul. shooting will go to pot for quite a while. in fact its better to just blank bale for a month or so if you can stand it, even shooting with your eyes closed so you just feel it.
this is exactly the reason not many people undertake it, and most of the ones who do give up - because they don't get results fast enough - and for some strange reason - they think they should - but they didn't hear that from me. at this point i'm pretty sure you could outshoot me with your caliper, but i've come a long way. maybe next year i can talk a little smack about my shooting.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:24 PM

OK. Obviously, Larry Wise knows what he's talking about, as do gibblet, Rick James, and Paul Mohr. When I began this, I knew it wasn't going to be easy and would take some time. But when I first started using it......I LOVED IT!! Yeah, it was frustrating, but that's because I'm basically trying to learn this on my own. Absolutely nobody around here shoots this way, in fact, target shooting in general just doesn't happen. Heck, I tried to get a 5 spot league going and myself and the shop owner are the only 2 that signed up! So I have nobody around here that can help and show me and explain what to do, so I'm going totally on what ya'll say (which has helped alot, by the way) and what I read. I got alot out of Core Archery, in fact, I've read it 3 times. The other day I actually started getting it, well....until I nearly knocked myself out. I'm not ready to actually give up, I just need a newer release w/ a safety on it.

Apparently, my problem was indeed that I wasn't relaxing enough. When I really started relaxing both my arms and especially my draw hand, it worked very well, and I liked it. I just know that shooting w/ a caliper causes me to do too many things wrong. I wasn't using BT as a "bandaid" I truely want to shoot better, and I believe the only way that is going to happen is through BT. Actually, I shoot very well w/ a caliper, but in my heart I know I can be better.

Anyway, I want to thank ya'll very much, from the bottom of my heart, because I wouldn't be able to use it at all w/out ya, so thank you again. We'll get it figured out, us together, but I know it's going to take time.

I have 3 months until archery season opens, and while I may not have "MASTERED" it in that amount of time, I would expect myself to be good enough to kill a deer with it. I also believe that to truely MASTER it, this is gonna take some time. That's ok w/ me. I'll blind bale for 2 months if I have to, as long as I can use my sights for a few weeks before season opens. Otherwise, what's the point?? But right now I am stuck, I can't afford a new BTR w/ a release......so this project is on hold.....prolly till the end of this fall's season. But rest assured, I will again resume w/ a new vigor!
Old 06-19-2006, 04:35 PM

Paul, I only ask because I've been having some technical troubles here lately.....you get my response pm I sent you?
Old 06-19-2006, 05:00 PM

Yes, I just replyed back to you. I have the same form of target panic as you do and listed some things to try.

Are you going to try and hunt with a back tension release?

Man do I agree about the blind bale shooting Gibblet. So many people will just not do it, no matter how many times you drill it into there heads. I made my girlfriend do it for two weeks, then let her blank bale shoot for a while, then I let her shoot targets. And this was after a few lessons with a certified instructor. And I'd be willing to bet you shoot better than me even with the back tension release. Like I said, I'm alright, but I'm not that great. My flaws don't stem from my release though and I don't shoot any better or worse with back tension release than I do with a trigger release.

Trying to learn backtension on your own would be pretty difficult, I feel for you mobow.

Paul
Old 06-19-2006, 05:06 PM

Got it, thank you!

Are you going to try and hunt with a back tension release?
Absolutely, but not this year it seems.

Quick Reply: What in the HE double hockey stick am I doing wrong??!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.