HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Changing draw length effect tuning? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/144690-changing-draw-length-effect-tuning.html)

pdoughertyMU 06-09-2006 06:08 PM

Changing draw length effect tuning?

If I change a tuned bows draw length, do I have to retune it? Changing the nock point and sights and everything?

Bulzeye 06-09-2006 09:44 PM

RE: Changing draw length effect tuning?

The best answer is going to be to change the draw length to what is right for you and test to see if anything has changed. I suggest bareshaft or walkback tuning, and broadhead tuning too if you hunt with it.

Any time you change anything in you setup you have to recheck tune, and you'll probably end up making an adjustment. It doesn't have to be a big deal to fix, sometimes it just takes a few minutes.
Recheck even if you change something as small as a 1/32 change in nock or rest position, if anything became loose and needs tobe tightened, or if you moved the limb bolts at all.

The faster, more powerful, and shorter the bow, the more sensitive they will be to changes.

nodog 06-10-2006 04:59 AM

center shot shouldn't change. nock hieght? point of impact should because you will be picking up or loosing speed.

You will have to be retuned.:D

Paul L Mohr 06-10-2006 08:17 AM

Depends on the bow and how the cam system works. Some bows if you change the draw length it changes the nock height.

However, changing your draw length is a pretty serious adjustment and may require you to retune your whole bow, including center shot. Maybe not for rough tuning, but fine tuning or broad head tuning it may make a difference. Depending on how much you change it you may have to get new arrows as well because of the change in spine. Shortening will not have as much of an affect as making it longer though, since a stiffer spined arrow is not as touchy as a weaker spined arrow. If your arrows were overly stiff to begin with you may not even notice a difference.

Changing your draw weight has the same effect, as a matter of fact that is one of the way you tune a bow is by changing the draw weight. That is actually one of the reasons they are adjustable, so you can tune your bow to the arrows;).

You may not have to change your sights though, if you do it won't be by much.

Paul

PurcellSportingGoods 06-10-2006 08:20 AM

check by shooting....maybe a little tuning will be needed...but it shouldn't be too drastic

Wolf651 06-11-2006 02:22 PM

I just did a change in my DL from 28 1/2" to 26" and nothing change except the nock move down a hair bit but nothing major. After the change I did a walkback and paper tune and it is still the same as before. My speed went down a bit (10-15FPS) but after crankingmy DW up a couple turns it was right back to same speed.
Now I shoot more accurate, relaxand no more creeps.

ijimmy 06-13-2006 07:51 AM

Most definatly yes , changeing your drawlength will change many other aspecs of you tune . You need to retune , even if its a 1/4 inch diferance