HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Need tech help (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/144581-need-tech-help.html)

txjourneyman 06-08-2006 01:34 PM

Need tech help

OK, here is the deal. Diamond Victory 65# 29" draw shooting a 412gr arrow at 259fps. The arrows are Easton Axis ST 340s cut to 29". The head is 100gr. I know because of the animals I have killed that this set up works. However I like to tinker and I'm looking for more speed. What kind of increase can I expect if I switch to 85gr heads? also what kind of KE do I have now and what will I have if I change? I don't know the formula and I stink at math. Thank you for your help and input. Oh, BTW, I took a big ol kisser button off the string so I should get some pick up there.

newman1 06-08-2006 02:26 PM

RE: Need tech help

Right now you are shooting 61 ft.-lbs. kenetic energy.

txjourneyman 06-08-2006 08:43 PM

Also, how much speed could I pick up if I max the bow out? I can draw very easily at 65#, I'm sure 70# would be no problem. I wanted to try 85gr feild tips but my shop was out of them. I'll pick some up and find out. I guess I could buy some lighter arrows or just stop sweating the small stuff and be happy with what I have.

WindsorArcher 06-08-2006 09:15 PM

Hmmm, you currently have 61.38 ft lbs in kinetic energy. Switching to 85gr broadheads might get you an extra 5-8 fps. So, you're looking at 61.45 ft lbs (maybe as much as 62.86 ft lbs). I'd say you're sweating the small stuff. What's more, you'll end up messing with your foc and retuning.

Concentrate on your shooting form and accuracy, especially from longer ranges (because this makes you better at closer hunting ranges). Accuracy is what kills deer, and you can never have enough.

98Redline 06-08-2006 10:10 PM

Actually changing the arrow weight will not change the KE to any measurable degree.

KE is a function of the bow not of the arrow. If the arrow mass is reduced, the speed will increase and KE will remain effectively constant.

Another consideration with going to an 85gr head is that your arrow will act like a stiffer arrow, and may make your bow more critical to tuning issues.

IF you are looking to pick up speed, there are a number of things you can do to gain speed without changing your draw weight or arrow.

#1) Remove brass nock sets from your string. Removing a single brass nock at the nocking point can increase speed between 3-5 fps. In stead use a tied on nock. These weigh almost nothing and can be tied on in a few minutes.
#2) Get rid of cat whiskers, puff balls, etc....in lieu of something like a string leech. You could probably pick up about 2 fps there
#3) DO THIS ONE ONLY IF YOU HAVE A GOOD QUALITY AFTERMARKET STRING.....Get rid of your peep sight with an aligner tube. This setup will rob you of 3-5 fps. Something like a Specialty Archery Super Ball peep or a G5 Meta Peep should fit the bill nicely.
#4) You will need access to a chronograph for this one.......Add a set of accelerator balls to the ends of your string near the cams. These have been shown to add up to 7 fps on some bows, however you need a chronograph to find the "sweet spot". Many bows will also have a "dead spot" where the accelerator balls will actually cause a speed loss.

gibblet 06-09-2006 05:09 AM

i'll take quiet over speed any day. i learned that the hard way.

nodog 06-09-2006 06:04 AM

Just get a chrono. I picked one up for 68 bucks to my door.

txjourneyman 06-09-2006 08:38 AM

Well, I took my peep off entirely a little over a week ago. I took my kisser button off. I still have a nock at the string loop and I'll take that off today. It is redundant, if I have the loop I don't need the nock. The only things on the string are cat whiskers, factory speed nocks, string loop, and 2 nocks, on as a kisser and one at the loop. I will probably take both of these off today. I don't think I need either of them. The one I use as a kisser I can hardly even feel and I have a very consistant anchor so it can go. Removing my peep and getting a new sight started all this. I'm shooting well without the peep so now I just want to play around with some other things trying to make improvements.
I may get rid of the cat whiskers and go with STS. I'm not sure. My bow is pretty quiet now and I'm not sure I want to mess around with that.
Whatever changes I do make, I will stop fiddling around by the end of the month. That way I will have 3 months of shooting the set-up before the season starts.
I don't really need a chrono, the shop I go to has one and I like going there. It is also pretty close to home.

The Rev 06-09-2006 08:49 AM

How funny we are.. we go nuts trying to speed up our bows, while others like me are trying to slow them down. Reminds me of the guy on the bank fishing, casting out to the deep, while the guy on the boat is casting to the bank...:D:D..MY, MY...

txjourneyman 06-09-2006 08:55 AM

So true, and the worst part is there is really no need for me to change a thing. I guess its all part of the learning curve. I want to know cause and effect when it comes to my bow.