HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Does it REALLY Make A Difference? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/143993-does-really-make-difference.html)

RIStrutStopper 06-01-2006 01:06 PM

Does it REALLY Make A Difference?

I'm going to be buying some more carbon shafts again soon. I'm wondering why I should spend big bucks on a shaft with .003 or better tolerance when I can get .006 for $40-$45 a dozen. Does 3 thousandths of an inch really mean anything launching an arrow 30 yards? Is there a real advantage to using expensive arrows other than confidence? I'm talking about a hunting shaft that I will use for 3D and target as well, but I'm not concerned with a small diameter to shoot 90 yards more accurately or a fat shaft to get a few extra points by cutting a line... What are your opinions?

Cougar Mag 06-01-2006 01:47 PM

RE: Does it REALLY Make A Difference?

Perhaps to the average archer/bowhunter(like me) it won't make much of a difference but I spent more money for a dozen new shafts(Easton A/C Superslims) this year than ever before and I would do it again simply because I really like them and they actually seem very durable along with being as straight as advertised.

newman1 06-01-2006 02:11 PM

You get what you pay for in arrows.Better spine tolerances,better weight tolerances and better straightness tolerances.I say try it once and then you can make the choice you self.

huntingson 06-01-2006 02:16 PM

Well, a .006 tolerance would mean that any two arrows could be as much as .012 different because one could be +.006 and the other -.006. The other thought is if all tolerances are at that, it would mean shaft thickness as well, which could mean you break arrows more often, etc. My MO when it comes to gear is buy the best and you only cry once.

Paul L Mohr 06-01-2006 02:37 PM

It is not just how straight they are, it is the over all quality of the arrow. Cheap carbon arrows are not always a bargain. Sometimes you get good ones, sometimes you don't. One of the main differences between the cheaper carbons and the more expensive ones is they are sorted better. The more money you pay the better the arrows you get, suposedly.

For the average person target shooting or knocking around in the back yard I doubt you will notice too much. However when you put a fixed blade broad head on there things may get a bit dicey and you could have problems with consistancy from arrow to arrow. I would get an arrow spinner at the very least to check them. Preferably before you buy them.

Personally if I had to choose between cheap carbons and cheap aluminums I would get the aluminums, and do. They are just more consistant arrows out of the box for the money. Especially for hunting. Not to mention if you get one with an insert that is a bit off they are easy to fix. It's a bit harder with a carbon and epoxy.

Now once you hit the 70-80 dollar range almost any type of arrow should work well. Still doesn't hurt to check them.

For carbons and hunting I personally like the Nitro Stingers by Arrow Dynamics if you can find them. They are a tapered design arrow and shoot broad heads very well. You won't find them for $40-50 though. Maybe for a half dozen if you get a deal.

Paul

mobow 06-01-2006 03:37 PM

Yes, it makes a difference. The reasons are many. If a company is that "loose" on the straightness factor, how loose are they on the rest? As you may or may not know, carbon arrows are all made to one size and then sanded down to certain specs, w/ the exception of the new Maxima, they are made to spec.

I am usually a middle of the road kinda guy. I don't buy the most expensive because I believe it's better, but in the case of arrows, it's just the truth. More expensive = better arrows, and that's just the way it is. I guess it depends on how good you want to be, but I would bet you will notice a difference in your groups w/ more expensive arrows. Like has been mentioned, the tighter the straightness, the tighter the spine (which is by far the most important) and the tighter the weight.

I understand compeletly not wanting to spend big money on arrows, but I'm being straight with you here......Get the best ones you can afford. I'm not saying you need to spend $250/dozen, but do yourself a favor and break loose with $15 or $20 more and get some good ones. You'll be glad you did.

nodog 06-01-2006 04:06 PM

Gold tips in the .003 are not big bucks. Having said that I had one blow up on me the other day. Thinking of spending a little more for piece of mind on some composits. The string did a job on my hand and the shaft pieces blew through the site. A better reason to buy a good shaft.

dukemichaels 06-01-2006 05:31 PM

just shoot aluminum.

aluminum arrows that blow up are rare or scarce for me.

they're cheap at $60.00 a dozen, roses cost more.

the KE is amazing, just like me.

JoeRE 06-01-2006 05:51 PM

If you are plunking 3D just for practice and are just hunting at relatively close ranges i am going to dissagree with some people here and say go for the cheep ones. under 40 yards the difference is minimal, yes you get what you pay for, but i hate loosing/breaking a 8-10$ shaft while hunting because I hunt a lot and sometimes that does happen. How you shoot the arrow is still more important.

CAJUNBOWHNTR 06-02-2006 12:22 PM

I'm allways amazed by fellas who will pay a grand for a bow set up and then want to buy cheap arrows.You'd be better off with a $300 used bow and some acc's.

CB