Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Pro shop to fix tuning issues? >

Pro shop to fix tuning issues?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Pro shop to fix tuning issues?

Old 06-08-2006, 05:37 PM

Default RE: Pro shop to fix tuning issues?

Yes, I'm lurking.

Tuneing is best done by the person who will be shooting the bow.

Just a quick note aboutthis statement.Thisis onlytrue if the person shooting the bow has good, consistent form. Isn't that right, Bob??

It's very hard for a person (machines are quite different) to perform consistent errors; however, it is easier for humans to perform consistently when errors are minimized by good form and fit. Many who are 'self taught' don't know the difference.

Old 06-09-2006, 05:57 AM

The problem with being self taught,in my opinion,is that after a while you keep getting the same answers to the same questions.Therefore,you keep doing the same things,only to expect different results,--this is a definion of insanity.I know this well,because I'm guilty.
I decided that I wanted to take my archery to a much higher level.With my ego in my back pocket,I've been able toget some expert advice,adjustments(tech)on the bow,and some strong suggestions that have helped to achieve this.All this happened with a friend of mine.
Thanks Len.
Mike and I will see you Sunday at the shop...Bob
Old 06-09-2006, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree , YOU the archer are the biggest part of tuneing , and the hardest varyable to change , especialy if you have ingrained years of bad shooting form . We as archers tend to want to do it the way we allways have , and sometimes that is the worst thing to do . My grip is a prime example , I know its not consistant , but man its hard to make a change .
Old 06-09-2006, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was having some difficulties fine tuning my bow as well, and like so many others do the work myself. I was getting frustrated though so I decided to take it in to the pro shop I trust. It took the guy about 2 minutes to fix it because my top wheel had a slight cant when drawn that I could not see when shooting. He fixed that for me and then I was shooting bullet holes. So, sometimes you need someone else you can trust IMHO.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

I think you guys are talking two different issues. The bow can be tuned and working perfectly. Tuning a shooter is a whole different issue, I know I was one of those. But I was one of the lucky ones. I shoot out at the Air Force Academy and so did the Olympic team for many years. One of the guys from the team watched me struggle and took pity and helped me. Three basic points is what he put in my head. One, how to hold the bow. The placement in the hand is very important. The risor is put against the knuckle of the thumb, not the valley between the thumb and finger. By doing this[and it feels real weird until you get used to it] you can throw your arm guard away because your arm is no longer in the travel path of the string. Also don't squeeze the water out of the handle. If you hold the bow to tight you will flinch at release. People say open hand or two fingers on the front of the bow. I don't use a strap so I put all of my fingers on the front of the bow, but just touch it so I don't drop it. For all the ground I cover hunting elk I never liked a strap.
Two, body balance is of most importance. The way you stand to the target at full draw will add to or take away from the shooting. To get your back straight[right handed shooter] put all your weight on your left foot. At full draw you should be able to pick your right foot off the ground and just put down your big toe for balance. For foot placement, your front foot[left] should be at a 45 degree angle to the target. This keeps the body square to the target. And when I am hunting I can't always set myself like this, but I sure can at the range to work on shooting form.
And three, the release. This is the hardest to master because it is mental not mechanical. Hit your anchor point, bring the sight pin to the target[I come from below] and release when you hit the point on the target you want to hit. DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH! A lot of guys hold the pin on the target forever and are good at it, I never was. And I don't squeeze the trigger of my release with my finger, contraction of the shoulder muscles releases the arrow.
There were other things we worked on but these were the main factors that helped me. He even got me shooting 90 meter targets with him. After shooting 90 meters, 20yds isn't so hard. And back to the first question, yes I do all my own tuning, my garage is my bow shop. I work on most of my buddies bows also.
Gselkhunter
Old 06-09-2006, 09:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

I let Ausey-Guy do all the work on my bows... Makes him feel important, but don't tell him that, he may not return my edger after he put a new blade on it.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Da$% good post gselkhunter. They were talking about taking the bow in for some tuning though. Do you remember any mental tips like what the mind should be doing. The new olympic coach recommends concentrating on your back muscles through the whole process.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:33 AM
Typical Buck

Focus on the spot you want to hit, this turned into the hair I wanted to hit on an animal. The trick was there wasn't a taget, just a spot twice the size of your arrow shaft, that was the focus. Breath[exhale slowly], keeps everything flowing and calm. And when the pin hit the spot tighten the shoulder muscle and the arrow is gone. Don't think about the shot, just go make it. Example, I blew my first ram shot in 2000, started thinking about getting my feet set, canting the bow to the hillside, distance and I think I even held my breath and shot low on a 40yds shot on a nice 3/4 curl ram. And it was an easy staulk in the trees and a level ground shot. Never should have missed that shot! It is one I have made thousands of times over, started thinking, don't think shoot!
2nd ram, very hard 3 hr open ground staulk, shooting slightly up hill, 55yd shot[no range finder], 10 minutes of shooting time left. Had time to come to my knees, drawing as I rose, exhaling as I picked the spot[a dirt clump]and hit the split between 50 and 60 yd pins and the arrow was gone, I don't even remember the release, just the dirt clump. The deal was there were 5 rams and it was a now or never shot on a full curl ram. As soon as started I rise, I was spotted by the other rams, there was no time and I knew it. But from all the work on the range, it just fell into place. I judge my distance before I start the shot and I don't second guess myself, again just shoot. Make up your mind on what you are going to do before you start the shot, then just focus on the spot. There is no score, there is no last or next shot, just this shot. I can tell the shooters at a tournament, from the rest of the guys. Focused, they don't tinker with their bow, most of them don't say much, machines. They walk up and make shots. Their undoing comes when they make mistakes, they are too tight, can't let it go. Be loose, it is OK to have fun, but when it comes time to shoot, the spot is all that matters. And the full curl is on my wall, the dirt clump didn't survive.
Gselkhunter
Old 06-11-2006, 09:13 AM
Spike

i agree with 98redline. i want to know my bow is tuned perfect when i go to a shoot. most pro shopsdont have time to tune a bow until it is shooting perfect for each individual.this way when i make a bad shot i know its me not my equip. this narrowsthe miss down to just one thing ,the shooter. this can be correctedmost times with a little more concretion.