Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Finished arrow weights- How close is enough? >

Finished arrow weights- How close is enough?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Finished arrow weights- How close is enough?

Old 10-28-2002, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Finished arrow weights- How close is enough?

I had an enlightening experience the other day. I weighed each of my components (field points, broadheads, and arrows), recorded the weights and matched them to get my arrow weights as close as possible. My hunting arrows are withing 4 grains of each other.

When I get my ACCs, I plan to do the same, but it will probably be much easier, as they tout a .5 grains tolerance, and my GT5575 hunters were all over the place, as were some of my field tips.

If need be, I figure I can grind my field tips to match, and I'm pretty sure my broadheads were within 1 grain of each other, and have even considered putting a small nut on them and grinding the threaded area down to a matching spec, the spinning the nut off to re-cut the threads so they will be useable.

How close in weight are your finished arrows? How close is close enough?

Old 10-28-2002, 09:05 AM
tm
Fork Horn

Default RE: Finished arrow weights- How close is enough?

That's why I match the Gold Tips I sell for weight to within 3 grains before fletching or cutting them.
Now for your question, I match my hunting arrows to within 3 grains and my 3D arrows to within 1 grain.
Now I've found that grinding in excess of 5 grains off the tip can cause FOC difference that will affect the accuracy more than the weight difference with some arrows.
An easier way to match them is with set screws that you can add to some point inserts, that way you can add a little weight and shoot the arrow to see if it shoots OK. I've even ran a 8/32 tap through some inserts that weren't tapped clear through to do this.
For target points I've used #8 or #6 buckshot with hot melt to match them.

Old 10-28-2002, 01:47 PM

Default RE: Finished arrow weights- How close is enough?

Range,

If I am building arrows for target I try to get all arrows within a grain finished weight. To do this I weigh all components, sort them out to get as close as I can through matching parts. Then I fletch and re-weigh, then make the final adjustments with tip weight. I often buy 3 dozen tips, adaptors, and other components to get a dozen closely matched parts. It may require making weight adjustments to the components prior to assembly. I usually will get within a few grains before adjusting tip weight. Remember to not get too crazy with your glue, it can cause some weight variances.

Aim Hard!