Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Shaft cut off saw >

Shaft cut off saw

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Shaft cut off saw

Old 04-29-2006, 10:03 PM

Default RE: Shaft cut off saw

Disclaimer* HuntingNet.Com and Washington Hunter should not be held responsible for any injuries incurred during the process of building and or using your arrow saws.There is always a chance of getting hurt using something made at home. Build and use at your own risk.

Supplies;
1.) Mini Cut-Off Saw (Item# 42307 at Harbor Freight Tools)
2.) 40" piece of 1" x 6"
3.) 2 10" pieces of 1" x 6"
4.) 1 3 1/2" piece of 2" x 4"
5.)1 4" piece of 1" wooden dowel
6.) 10 Screws
7.) Permanent Marker
8.) Measuring Tape
9.) Electric Drill
10.) Table Saw, Band Saw, or Hand Saw
11.) Drill Press

The Process;

Step 1.) Lay the 40" piece of 1" x 6" out on a flat surface or work bench. This piece of wood will be used for the Arrow Saw's base.

Step 2.) Line the edge of the Mini Cut-Off Saw with the edge of your base.

Step 3.) There are two holes on the opposite side of the saw. Use two screws and screw the Mini Cut-Off Saw to your base.

Step 4.) From the clamp on your Mini Cut-Off Saw measure 31" out on the base of your new arrow saw. Use a pencil or pen to mark the spot at 31".

Step 5.) From your mark at 31" measure back towards your mini cut-off saw one inch shorter than the length of the shortest arrow you think you will be cutting. (I shoot a 28" arrow so I measured 4" back towards the mini cut-off saw.) Use your pen or pencil to mark these spots on your base.

Step 6.) With your table saw, band saw, or hand saw cut your 10" piece of 1" x 6" into four 1 1/2" pieces. (Cut them lengthwise)

Step 7.) Place the four pieces you just cut along the edges of your base and screw them to the base.

Step 8.) Using your previous marks as reference points, extend them over the pieces you just screwed to the base and write what eash mark stands for.

Step 9.) Using your drill press, drill a hole in the back of your piece of 2" x 4" deep enough that your wooden dowel fits into it snug. After this is drilled out, drill a smaller hole straight through for a screw to fit into. (This hole is also the hole your arrow will fit into when you go to cut it so make sure it's lined up with the clamps on your mini cut-off saw.) Screw the dowel into the hole. This piece should fit snug in between the pieces you screwed into the base.

Step 10.) Enjoy your new arrow saw.

Well folks, I took my arrow saw apart, took some shots of the peices and put it all back together again for your enjoyment. Hopefully you'll be able to use what I typed up here and create your own arrow saws. Enjoy!

Apparently I deleted the majority of the pictures from both my computer and photobucket, so they didn't show up in the old post. I hope this is a bit of help minus the pictures.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:23 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, that was a bit of an effort that is appreciated!
Old 04-29-2006, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say about 3" in diameter if I remember right. Had to pack it all up before coming over here. [&:]
Old 11-01-2007, 06:43 AM

I see this post started a long time ago, but I was looking for a better price than on E-Bay and went and looked at Harbor Frieghts on page http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42307for this very same mini cut off saw and found it for $19.99 so I thought I would pass this along as I order one up for myself.

BTW - Just saying hello around here
Old 11-01-2007, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, that is great. I think I will pick one up as well.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:05 AM

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how well do the blades wear when cutting carbon shafts,and do they cut aluminum shafts very well or just chew the ends up.also if you look at the description of that saw it say it comes with one2 inch blade,not a 3 inch blade that Jlmoore said he might not have seen that.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:17 AM

I bought one of these saws from HF and have trouble cuttin my goldtip graphite shafts. The blade gets goin and then stops when i put any pressure on it. Anyone else have problems with theirs?
Old 11-05-2007, 06:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

No problems at all with mine.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

I have built one myself and a squaring rig all in one, I bought a G5 tool for nothing !
I use a dremel to cut the shaft which I rotate onto an L shaped aluminium bar.
there's some pics of it here;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/69041177@N00/sets/72157601234372217/

to square the arrows I just put a sharpeningstone at the cut off end and spin the arrow a few times.....
the whole thing cost me about 35 dollars.....

Frank
Belgium