Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow speed ?

Old 04-27-2006, 04:43 PM

Default Arrow speed ?

Wondering how fast an arrow sheds speed as it travels downrange? My setup shoots 290 fps but how about at 20 yd ,30 yds,40 and so on.Can anybody answer this or show a formula for this?
Old 04-28-2006, 08:17 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Arrow speed ?

Check out the following link. It will allow you to get a good approximation on your downrange ballistics.

Arrow Ballistics
Old 04-28-2006, 08:32 AM

Vertical Drop on that table seemed a little Excessive...no?
Old 04-28-2006, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just did it as well, and I think the vertical drop is a bit much. It says mine go down 28in. at 30 yards and 51in. at 40 yards. I don't shoot a fast bow (250 fps) and I shoot a heavy arrow (576 gr.) but that is excessive. I would certainly be able to see that kind of drop I think.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go to www.pinwheelsoftware.com and download OnTarget2. You can use it free for 10 days. You can model any bow / arrow combination and it will tell you everything you want to know about trajectory, speed, ke, etc. It seems to be really accurate at least for my setup.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Anybody with a crono try this? I might just give it a shot.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

nodog,

A few years ago I did this with my chrono. Set right in front of the target from 20 yards to 50 yards and recorded the speeds at each distance. Unfortunately I never kept the results. It is an "awakening" experience, and you do have to have confidence in your abilities to shoot 3-4" above your chrony at 50 yards, LOL.

Guess I'll have to get it out again one of these days and see what happens now that I have faster bows.

In reference to the table of arrow drop from the Bowjackson Ballistic table, I don't think that the drop most guys get is too far off line. These numbers are not suggestive of how far an arrow drops in reagrds to how the bow is sighted in. It's how far an arrow actually drops over a given distance from a horizontal plane. As in YooperMike's example, he thinks 28" @ 30 yards seems excessive, but it's probably pretty close to how much the arrow actually drops from point zero (the bow) and the impact point at 30 yards.

It's just like a bullet really. A bullet is dropping from the point it leaves the barrel. All that is done is we mount a sight above the barrel and sight in to compensate. The gun is actually aimed "up" to compensate for the bullets line of travel to make it hit where we want at a gvien distance.

Arrows do the same thing only to a greater degree because they are slower. And they drop a whole lot more than people think. It's like a guy saying that because he shoots an arrow doing 300fps his arrow only drops 1" from 20 yards to 30 yards. This guy is in a dream world. The actual drop is closer to about 5" over this distance (estimate).

Man, I hope you guys understand this.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

"nodog,

A few years ago I did this with my chrono. Set right in front of the target from 20 yards to 50 yards and recorded the speeds at each distance. Unfortunately I never kept the results. It is an "awakening" experience, and you do have to have confidence in your abilities to shoot 3-4" above your chrony at 50 yards, LOL."

LOL Just what I was thinking