Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Finally joined the Bowtech family >

Finally joined the Bowtech family

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Finally joined the Bowtech family

Old 04-25-2006, 07:24 PM

Default Finally joined the Bowtech family

Well I finally bit the bullet and joined a bunch of other proud Bowtech owners. It's only been about 4 hours but I may be in love. Now I have a question for you guys. I have never been that selective when it came to arrow weights and so forth. When they were setting up my 60# allegiance I weighed the arrows I have been using and they weighed in at a whopping 300+ grams. Add my 100 gram broadhead and now I'm pushing a little better than 400. The question is since I already have about $400 worth of ACC's do I just continued using them giving up a ton of speed or do I need to buy new arrows closer to the 5 gram per pound range. Just looking for some advise from people who have probally ran into this problem before. Thanks
Old 04-25-2006, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Finally joined the Bowtech family

My opinion is that 400 should be fine for a #60er . I use 414gr 28"with a #60 BowTech Patriot Dually . I think that's about perfect .

nubo
Old 04-25-2006, 07:48 PM

Nubo, what kind of speed are you getting with your bow? If my calulations are correct it should be in the upper 270's to 280.
Sorry I was calculating for the Allegiance.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:27 PM

My '05 Allegiance in 60/29 inch draw does 274 fps with a 430 grain Easton Axis arrow.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:33 PM

Hey that's great you have a new bow! I would go heavier. Momentum is a terrible thing to waste What did your BC say?
Old 04-26-2006, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the new bow, ~400 grain is where I try to land with my arrows.
If your drawing 29" your 400 grainers should be in the mid 280's or better, nothing slow about that.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:14 AM

Accually I'm 28" with a loop. Also I didn't understand what BC meant in the last question. So what you guys are tell me is that this 5 grain per lb. is just a starting point, not what you should be looking to achieve as far as hunting. The bowshop owner said that I would lose approx. 1 f.p.s. for every 5 gms. I am above the 5 grms. per. lb. # with this bow. Thanks again guys.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:26 AM

BC = Birth certificate. Your new bow should have had one in the box.Good advice on the 400 grains range weight for hunting. I also like 10% plus foc.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've found 1 fps per 3 grain change to be closer with my rigs.

5 grains per pound is the minimum you can shoot and still be covered under warranty. Most people try to stay above this for target shooting and well above it for hunting purposes.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:24 PM

I would never try to get down to 5 grains per pound on a hunting arrow. That's the minimum to be covered under warranty which is to say that it's the minimum that the factory is comfortable stating that the bow won't blow up at. There's way too much focus these days on speed and not enough on consistantly hitting what your shooting at with an arrow carrying enough momentum (not kinetic energy, momentum) to penetrate dense tissue such as bone. In addition, the heavier arrow is going to make your set-up more quiet which is also way more important than speed. I'd rather hit an animal with a slow moving, silent log than miss one with a screaming bang! I think my rig is a decent compromise; 70 lbs., 29.5" draw, 500 grain arrow, 260 fps and the most important part... target grade precision.

Quick Reply: Finally joined the Bowtech family

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.