HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Draw lenght & arrow speed??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/140423-draw-lenght-arrow-speed.html)

2footroper 04-22-2006 04:34 PM

Draw lenght & arrow speed???

This may be a silly question but here goes. I am shooting a Reflex Super Slam with the draw length set at 29". I am shooting a QAD rest. I have my arrows cut @ 27 3/4" and have about 1 1/2" arrow length to spare. If I increase the draw length on my bow to 30", will this increase my arrow speed?? Right now the bow is set @ 70 lbs. and it is shooting 265 fps. With EastonST Epic 400 With 2" blazer vanes & 100gr field points. I would like to get the speed up to around 280.
Thanks for your help

BGfisher 04-22-2006 06:46 PM

RE: Draw lenght & arrow speed???

Of course you increase speed with an increase in drawlngth. But it's a poor way to get speed. You should optimize your drawlength to conform with your shooting form and never compromise it. It's a lot easier to gain speed in other ways.

You can shoot a lighter shaft. And by that I don't mean cutting them a little shorter. Cutting 1 1/2" more off will only amount to about 2-3 fps. It might be worth it though in your case because you are realy pushing the envelope for spine anyway. You can compliment this with a lighter point--say 85 grain.

What all do you have on your string? Clean off all you can. Move string silencers as close to the cams as you can. Reduce the length of your center serving to about 3" long.

And while you're at it buy a good set of aftermarket strings made from BCY 8125 (winner's Choice, Vapor Trail, etc). I gained 11 fps just changing from the factory strings last year.

There is only so much you can do, but increasing the drawlength is never the best option. Frankly, the best option, if you want speed, is to spend the money for a real speed bow. Your bow is not a speed bow. It's a good bread and butter hunting bow.

2footroper 04-22-2006 07:41 PM

BG
Thanks for all the info. My draw length is 30 1/2". I set the bow up a little shorter to accomidate the bulky cold weather clothes as I hunt very late in the season and I like to have a small bend at the elbow to avoid hitting my forearm sleeve.The Reflex has such a great wall at the end of the draw that the shorter length wasn't a safety issue. I just didn't know if I was robbing myself of the final few fps I am looking for.
I love this bow and I am not a speed freak by any means. I have it dialed in that I can shoot3" groups out to 60 yards. Just looking for that extra 5 yard cushion if I misjudge the shot.
I will look into an aftermarket string. I had heard that they can make a difference. Thanks again for your help.

akaSharkey 04-23-2006 04:51 PM

If you will not comprmise you form by using the longer draw, why not. You will be gaining a extra inch of power stroke off the cams. Say your bow has a 8 inch brace and 29 inch draw you get a 21 inch powerstroke. With the 30 inch draw you will get 22 inches and a extra inch of power.