Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 What do you think would cause this >

What do you think would cause this

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What do you think would cause this

Old 04-21-2006, 01:26 PM

Default What do you think would cause this

When I release my arrow and follow thru with the shot I can see the arrow fly kinda sideways for a second kinda like it is fishtailing. But it seems to hit its mark everytime. What do you think would cause this?
Old 04-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What do you think would cause this

centershot slightly off or most likely a spine issue.

For a better diagnosis you may want to include draw weight , draw length, bow, arrows used & tip weight.

as long as the arrow is flying true well before killing distances some wouldn't even worry with it, have tried fixed blades with it shooting this way and how are they grouping at 10,15, 20 & so on?
Old 04-21-2006, 02:19 PM

Reflex buckskin, 68 pounds, easton acc 3-60 arrow spine, 29 inch draw length, 100 grain field points.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not down with acc spine's, but according to easton spine selector your using the right shaft.
Is there any fletching contact?

What style rest are you using?
Old 04-21-2006, 05:16 PM

I would have it paper tuned by a pro shop. Does sound like center shot is off. I checked on the spine for ACC. They are 9.5 grns per inch. spine at 29" is .340. 68lbs. go to easton web site. You can download there chart. it will let you plug in your bow specs. and tell you what your spine is for your set up. And let you know if your ok.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Funny you should mention this.I had the same problem last night when I took my bow out and tuned it with my new QAD rest.
First shot told me instantly it was fishtailing,but hitting generally the same spot I intended to hit.I noticed the fletching was hitting the prong on the rest telling me it wasnt dropping fast enough,tightened up the string on the drop a bit and solved that problem.
But the fishtailing was still there.It was the CENTERSHOT,I moved it in to the riser a bit,tightened it down and took another shot at target,bullseye.I thought to myself it was just luck---lol,took another shot at the same spot and tore the fletching off my shaft and busted a nock.Next 3 arrows were hitting perfectly.
Long story short---CENTERSHOT and fletching contact.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Salt,

The guys have said a mouthfull. I just want to add that your arrows may indeed be fishtailing, but that won't stop them from hitting where your bow is sighted in to shoot them. And they will probably group well, too. That's because they are all doing the same thing and so is the bow. And this is with field tips in. You put some fixed blade broadheads on them and things could get real ugly (little wings on the front). That's why tuning for good arrow flight is important. Good luck.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

It flys sideays at first because something is not right with the spine or the tuning. It straightens out because the fletching corrects for the error to some degree after it gets out some distance.

When you shoot bare shafts to verify the tuning you will see just how far things are off when the unfletched shaft stays sideways and veers way off target while the fletched shaft seems to be hitting OK.

Definitely want to correct that. You want to have fletched and bare shafts hitting the same spot. Don't shoot unfletched arrows with broadheads, only field tips.

The problem could also be that the fletch is making contact withi some part of the bow or rest as it flys. Either way, you should get it fixed.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:09 PM

It's because it's not a mathews..LOL
Old 04-22-2006, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm kinda glad to see that Bullseye chimed in. I neglected to add that I was referring to only fletched arrows,, especially with broadheads, as he so eloquently pointed out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.