HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   How important is paper tuning? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/140104-how-important-paper-tuning.html)

sngehl01 04-19-2006 07:47 AM

How important is paper tuning?

I have never paper tuned my bow, my shop set it up for me, and all has been well so far. I group arrows really well with field points, I mean groups the size of a golf ball from 30 yds in, and almost as good out to 40 and 50, my arrow flights are consistent, as well as the angle they're at in the target. My broadheads shoot well enough, they fly pretty true to my field point, not even inches off in groups. I don't find it's a thing to worry about, or am I wrong? If I hit a deer in the vitals behind the shoulder, whether I hit the lungs, heart, liver, etc, it's going to die, and I can track it.
So I guess I'm asking do I need to paper tune my bow, or is it not worth the time? I just don't know anything about it so I thought I'd ask some questions.

BGfisher 04-19-2006 07:54 AM

RE: How important is paper tuning?

If you are shooting such good groups out to 50 yards and broadheads are hitting essentially the same POI then I wouldn't bother with paper tuning. Paper tuning indicates how the arrow is leaving the bow, but farther down range is where the action is and I think you have a pretty good handle on what's going on "out there".

Take all the vital measurements for any future adjustments you may need to make such as brace height, A2A, peak weight, nocking point height and peep and kisser height from the nocking point. Also mark the side of the cam where it passes through the bottom limb so you will be able to tell if you are getting string creep (and if it's factory rigging you will have string creep over time).

TerryM 04-19-2006 08:17 AM

With real world results like you're getting I wouldn't worry about papertuning.

BobCo19-65 04-19-2006 08:37 AM

Sounds like you're grouping exceptionally well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;)

sngehl01 04-19-2006 09:03 AM

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Sounds like you're grouping exceptionally well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;)
Pretty much the same thing I thought. I would rather be able to hit my own arrow at command (who wouldn't?). I robin-hooded one and shot a handful of nocks off shooting 3 arrow groups. I refuse to shoot 10 arrow groups like some of my buddies I shoot with unless I'm on a five shooter or something. I mean who couldn't hit their own arrow if they shot fifteen arrows at the same spot lol.

As for keeping string creep in check, I have had this bow almost a year now, when should I replace the factory string, and what with? What's a good, economic string I could use? I'm a huge fan of 3-d shooting, but ultimately hunting is what matters most. I know what my brace height is, but where exactly do I measure to/from?

Thanks for the input guys.

BobCo19-65 04-19-2006 10:07 AM

I'd ask Gibblet about your string question.

Keep an eye on A to A measurements as well as brace height measurement (the distance from the string at a 90 degree angle to the deepest part of the grip).

BGfisher 04-19-2006 11:58 AM

There ya have it. Gibblet or Bucknasty (from what I hear) make good strings. Parker is a lot like Hoyt. Make a fine bow but use so-so strings. Of course, if you're like most you didn't know this. Almost anything except Zebra is better than factory strings on most bows. I use Winner's Choice myself or Prostrings, but I don't pay retail as a staff shooter.

Pretty much there are two things I won't scrimp on when it comes to archery. One is arrows and the other is strings. A bow is only a launch pad for the arrow. A pin sight is just a pin sight. They don't change. Inferior strings change and arrows must be of good quality to shoot consistently.

10 shot groups? They must be crazy. I only carry three arrows in my quiver--for 3D or hunting, or practice. Any more is just wasting energy. And besides, I'd rather shoot one arrow correctly than flinging a whole bunch into nothingness. Groups don't kill anything.

BobCo19-65 04-19-2006 12:09 PM

Parker is a lot like Hoyt. Make a fine bow but use so-so strings.
I just noticed that you have a Parker, and if it is the original string, I would suggest changing it. I have had problems more then once with their factory strings (elongating well over two inches). If you don't want to change it right away, which is understandable, keep a very close eye on the measurements that I have mentioned. More then likely you will be making a bunch of trips to the bow shop (unless you have a bow press) to have twists added to it.

r33h 04-19-2006 01:51 PM

Sounds like you are shooting good...don't break it if it ain't broke!

turtleshell 04-19-2006 01:54 PM

Am I blind? I don't see anywhere in his post where he mentioned string creep. Just curious.:)