Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Loopset pliers

Old 04-04-2006, 05:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Loopset pliers

Gee I must still be old school I use a phillips head screw driver to tighten my loops.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:58 AM

I just received a set of these loopset pliers and I have to say, I thought my d loop was really tight, but these pliers work great. The loop was easily made much tighter and I like the way it holds the looped string together as it tightens. The only thing I noticed that should be a concern to the manufacturer is a few sharp edges that should have been deburred. They aren't in the grooves where the string or loop is grabbed, but on the outer egdes of the tool...if someone wasn't careful and bumped the tool against their string in the wrong place it my set could possibly cut a few strands. A little emery cloth and the burrs will be gone though. I think it is a worthy product for sure and the price is right!

Old 11-23-2006, 01:50 PM

There's a picture of them here:

http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/...OT2760506.html
Old 11-24-2006, 06:32 PM

I have a pair and they work pretty well, but:

You will still need a pair of needle nose plyers to do two things:

1) To start the tightnening of the loop - if you cut your loop rope short enough for the loopset plyers to do a good job of tightening, then theuntightened loop will be too small for the loopset plyers to fit into the loop. The two pieces of the loopset's jaws that fit into the loop are much larger than a needle nose and you have to start the tightening with needle nose or something similar.
2) To loosen the loop.

Also, I don't get as tight a D loop with the loopset plyers as I can withmy big needle nose plyers. Len showed me how to do it several years ago and the needle nose plyers can give you a tighter loop.

One of the claims of the loopset plyers is that you get the same length of loop every time. You do, but you can also do it with needle nose plyers by simply starting with the same length of rope every time.

The loopset plyers arenot useful if you want to set up your loop with a brass or served nock pointeither inside orabove theD loop. There is no adjustment inhowfar apart theknots are.

The loopsets are handy, but you will still need a set of needle nose plyers. In fact, the loopset plyers have given mea couple of ideas on how a pair of needle nose plyers could be modified to do a much better job.

I'll keep mine & use them, but they are not everything that I'd hoped they would be.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:30 PM
Typical Buck

What will work just as well is go and buy you a set of snap ring pliers for the outside snap rings. When you squeeze the snap ring pliers together the ends open up and will really tighten your d loops down. This is what I use and it works great.