HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Drawlength Wingspan/2.5 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/137781-drawlength-wingspan-2-5-a.html)

LouisianaTomkat 03-26-2006 08:30 PM

Drawlength Wingspan/2.5

Hey guys, I read somewhere on a post here that to determine your drawlength - have someone measure your wingspan from behind you - fingertip to fingertip and divide that by 2.5 to get your drawlength. If this is true or close, then my draw length is off. I measured 66.5 wingspan and that equals roughly 33.25 drawlength. My arms were not extended(stretched), just relaxed span. My bow was set up at 29 inches and the tech said it "looked" fine. Can someone help with this? Is this calculation accurate or is there a better way?

Thanks, LT

kilnbux 03-26-2006 08:33 PM

RE: Drawlength Wingspan/2.5

Is this on a bow he's trying to sell you? If thats the case then maybe hes thinking " I dont have a longer draw bow to sell this guy, maybe I can talk him into a 29"

I have found the 2.5 to be pretty darn close.

LouisianaTomkat 03-26-2006 08:38 PM

No, I have already purchased the bow and been shooting about a month kilnbux. I have just been questioning my draw length lately. ( And the tech who didn't measure anything)[:@]If this is accurate then I have to at least be a 31" draw, wouldn't you say?

LT

extreme1 03-26-2006 08:56 PM

If you are measured 66.5 inch wingspan and you divide it by 2.5,like most people do as a starting point then I come up with 26.6 or better yet a 27 inch draw.
You stated that the tech at the shop said it looked O.K to him,sounds like he didnt want to go to any extra lengths to set you up properly.
If you feel like you are over drawn,as you feel you are then by all means go to a "NEW" shop where you can get properly set up.
Only you can tell where your comfortable anchor is,usually string touching tip of nose or anchoring on the jaw bone.
Do yourself a favor and get it set up properly,you will only find yourself more accurate and forgiving in the long run.

In case you are wondering,I am almost 5'10 inches tall with a wing span of 69 inches and my draw length "comfortably" is 27. Technically speaking it equals out to 28 inches .
I have shot my bows at 28 inches for years and had no problems with them,and just as accurate as my 27 inch draw,BUT,when the temps drop and I am all bundled up in my hunting cloths,27 seems to fit me like a glove:)

LouisianaTomkat 03-26-2006 09:00 PM

Screwed up on the calc. not thinkin'. Duh. Yeah, I need a Pro Shop That Cares!

archer 2 03-26-2006 09:12 PM

I have a 72 inch wing span and shoot a 28.5 draw . Sounds to me like you are seriously overdrawn.

DaveC 03-26-2006 11:28 PM

God must have graced me with long arms, I just remeasured my wingspan (for the umpteenth time) and sure enough 73"(and change depending on what fingers you use) / 2.5= 29.2"
That's on a 5'9" frame ;).
I've tried 28,28.5,29,29.5 and 29 always feels just right with a short loop (on a bowtech anyways-I'd drop to a 28.5 on a late model mathews).

I'd say your bow was already a 29" draw when you showed up.

gibblet 03-27-2006 05:10 AM

dave, how do you keep your knuckles from getting scraped up when you walk?

BF1947 03-27-2006 08:30 AM

LT,

Wingdspan/2.5 should get your fairly close. It's not always right on because of different things like finger length and such, but it's a whole lot closer than just drawing a bow or guessing. It's just a good starting point.

As an example I'm fairly close to your size, have a 67" wingspan. Ding the math this comes up to 26.8". Over the years I've shot anywhere from 26" to 28 1/4". About 27 1/2" for several years. Last year I dropped it to 27" and this is just about right for me. I've tweaked it up and down a little in 1/8" increments, but a pure 27" is what my body likes.

Assuming you are of average proprtions this should be close for you, too. To get it closer you should really have someone help you. When you come to full draw and are anchored your arrow's nock should straight down from your eye. Look only at your target when you draw. When you come to anchot you should not have to move you head at all. This is where the tweaking comes into play. If you have to move your head then the bow doesn't fit. Adjust it.

BOWTECHBO 03-27-2006 01:03 PM

LTC, i read on this forum some where that the most accurate formula was wingspan minus 15", devided by 2...for you that would be 25.75 or 26" DL.

hope this helps when you go to a NEW pro shop!