HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Why doesn't Hoyt advertise %let-off? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/137511-why-doesnt-hoyt-advertise-let-off.html)

Paulk 03-24-2006 10:23 AM

Why doesn't Hoyt advertise %let-off?

Sorry if this seems obvious, but I'm new to bowhunting. I'm looking for a new bow and was researching Hoyt's. However the specs don't mention the let-off. I'm not getting any younger, so the higher the let-off the more attractive to me.

Arthur P 03-24-2006 01:08 PM

RE: Why doesn't Hoyt advertise %let-off?

If you've got bad shoulders, high letoff is the last thing you want to be attracted to. I'm convinced that what finished off my shoulders was the intensedraw force curves and high letoffsthey're putting on cams these days. Tugging peak weight from just a few inches into the draw until just an inch or two from the letoff; then hitting that high letoff - going from pulling 70 pounds to 15 - and then slamming into the wall before I could control the letoff. It hurts![:@]

Trying to slowlyeasethe cam over the break and into the letoff was almost as bad.

What someone with aging or otherwise questionable shouldersneeds - and this may not be what you want to hear because it's not going to be a high performance speed burner -is a mild cam. One that increases it's draw gradually with a short dwell at peak and a gradual letoff into the valley so you can control how hard you come into the wall.

Since you're interested in Hoyt, then I'll give you a specific recommendation. Look at Hoyt's bows that offer theWheel 1/2.

BF1947 03-24-2006 08:36 PM

Just what Art said. One thing about getting older, besides the obvious aches and pains, is that we get wiser. We finally figure out that shooting high weight (70#) and 80% letoff or so is not all that great on the shoulders. It's a whole bunch easier to draw 55-60 lbs with a lower percentage of letoff, say 65%-70%. It really doesn't matter how much letoff a bow has. You still have to crank those cams over the peak weight.

Now this being said, 60# is more than enough for any deer sized critter and is, in fact, enough for anything in North America and most of Africa.

I'm kind of an old guy at 59 and used to shoot high weights, but not any more. It took it's toll on me and I got wiser before it came to suragery. In the last couple years I've dropped down to the 50's and archery has started to become fun again.

Now to answer about Hoyt. Why don't they and some others state letoff? Because it varies from bow to bow, even in the same model. However, I believe most Hoyts run about 75% letoff. An industry standard anymore is around 75-80%, so don't let it get under your skin.

Rob/PA Bowyer 03-24-2006 08:39 PM

You can get the Hoyt bows in 65 up to 80% letoff.

fstgstdsmpay 03-25-2006 05:52 PM

Yes HoytBows are available in 65-80% Let off, depending on the model.

But I have to disagree with the post about high let off for older folks. My father at 58 has bad shoulders from being a proffesional carpenter is whole life. He shoots a Hoyt UltraTec with 75% let off Cam 1/2 at 60# smoothly with no jump at all. now he can draw more weight than that but that is what he draws smoothly. As for me im still young so im still in good shape,but I shoot a Hoyt trykon at 80% let off with a 72# draw with no jump. Now with the cam 1/2 systems when I see someone draw there bow back and that thing jumps is because there over weighted them selves. The bows are not meant to be drawn back and slammed into the wall its supposed to be drawn smooth as one fluid motion, not pulling real hard and slamming the string back. I know most people like to draw higher weights but you should think about lowering your poundageuntil you acheive that smooth draw. Your groups will be alot better.

Paulk 03-27-2006 11:58 AM

Thanks for all of the great advice. However, I'm looking for the high let-off because I want to be able to hold back my draw for a longer time. I have no shoulder problems, yet! Unfortunately I did lose a shot this year because the old buck decided to take his time while I had drawn back. I waited 15 years for a buck this size and most likely will never get another chance!

BF1947 03-27-2006 06:26 PM

Paulk,

OK, so you want letoff. Take a look at Concept Archery. They have bows with 99% letoff----and this is not a misprint. 99%

Len in Maryland 03-28-2006 08:32 PM

The let-offs for Hoyt bows is in the catalog. You just have to know where to find it.;)

Go to the back of the catalog where the different cams are pictured/discussed. You will find the information you want there.

Also, higher let-off cams can be very different from different manufacturers. The better ones, IMPO, will be those which roll easily into the valley rather than 'drop' into the valley. The ones that drop are VERY hard on shoulders. The ones that roll smoothly are an old man's dream come true.:D