HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Questions about Arrows, Speed, etc. etc. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/137234-questions-about-arrows-speed-etc-etc.html)

sngehl01 03-21-2006 06:45 PM

Questions about Arrows, Speed, etc. etc.

I shoot a Parker Ultra Lite 31 right now, and I am shooting pretty quick but I know I can boost my speed. I don't care about knockdown power, I want to get as much speed out of my bow as I can. I just want to shoot flatter, and I just like the whole speed thing, I don't like seeing my arrow float through the air. This is not my regular hunting bow (Alpine Ridgerunner accompanies me in my stand), so sound isn't a huge issue. Here are the spec's
Factory IBO : 310 fps
AMO Draw Length : 29"
Draw Weight : 64#
Arrows : PSE Radial X-Weave 8.6 GPI @ 27.5 Inches
Tip : 75 Grain Field Point
Mechanical Release, string loop for drawing, string leeches (two), peep sight (with tube), and three brass knocks placed near the cam and idler wheel (supposed to help with speed, can't tell if it is... might have them in the wrong spots).

Besides the obvious of increasing draw weight, what can I do to up the speed. I plan on using a tubeless peep soon, and I am gonna switch over to some lighter arrows (as light as I can get, whether Aluminum, Carbon, or A/C/C)

Any Suggestions? Any ideas how fast I'm shooting? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

iowadeadeye 03-21-2006 07:02 PM

RE: Questions about Arrows, Speed, etc. etc.

first of all- lose the brass nocks near the idler, weight there won't help with speed. your going to have to raise draw wt. or lower arrow wt. going to a new string like my razors edge strings that have no peep rotation will speed you up a feww fps. by getting rid of the tubing. they are $45.00 a set for single cam bows. third, make sure your bow is completely in factory specs.

bigbulls 03-21-2006 09:34 PM

There are only four ways to increase speed with any signifigance. This is assuming your bow is properly tuned. Loose weight on the string, loose weight in the arrow, add poundage, add draw length.

So if I were you and wanting to increase speed and not worried about noise I would remove the brass nocks, remove the string leeches, make sure the loop is as short as possible, loose the peep sight and install a no peep, and get lighter arrows like Gold Tip ultra lite 400's.

You could increase your poundage a little but leave your draw length alone.

Rob/PA Bowyer 03-22-2006 06:07 AM

Personally I'd like to know what your current speed is, what your current arrow weight is and what your looking to gain?

sngehl01 03-22-2006 06:46 AM

I have no idea about my current FPS. My arrow weight is right at 366 grains. I'm going to switch to a lighter arrow, I just don't know which ones, I haven't looked enough into them yet. I intend on increasing my poundage a couple pounds (up to about 66#). Not more because I want to keep my shot consistency and I'm afraid increasing the poundage too high won't allow me to do that, because of my capability to hold the string back with that much weight (even with 80% let off). I will look into the Razors Edge Strings, and I am going to go to a tubeless peep.

I will take the three brass knocks off near the wheel then. My bow is tuned as good as tuned can be.

According to an online calculator I found, my 366 grain arrow @ 64# (it takes into consideration factory IBO and such), my FPS is right around 276 FPS.

I can't accurately put my grains though, I know 8.6 GPI @ 27.5", and a 75 grain tip, but I don't know how much my knock, insert and vanes weigh.

Thanks for all the input guys.

SPD406 03-22-2006 06:57 AM

Besides just seeing how fast your bow can shot, what is your reason for trying to shoot so fast? I don't think shooting faster will make you more accurate. If anything, it will make your bow less forgiving.

Death From Above

The Rev 03-22-2006 07:43 AM

You want a bow or a race car? first of all with an IBO speed of 310, your not going to make that bow a whole lot faster..
Seriously if your looking for speed in today standards 310 IBO is slow.. Todays bows IBO's are well over 330...

I do all I can to slow my down.. As far as I am concerned hitting the mark is the most important thing. I had a Jennings Buckmaster shooting 260 that I could drill out the end of a gnat at 50 yards. Now this super fast bow, I am lucky to scare that same gnat at that yardage. :D

Rob/PA Bowyer 03-22-2006 10:54 AM

At 64 lbs the minum arrow you should shoot is what a 320 grain arrow which is only 46 grains lighter than your current setup and getter down exactly to 5 grains per pound on your arrow weight you might gain what, 15 fps which means absolutely nothing at your current speed....your pin gap won't change, your impact point won't change, your accuracy won't change but your bow will take more of a beating, be noiser etc....So, is it worth it. I don't think so. If your getting 276...be happy, very happy.

sngehl01 03-23-2006 04:34 PM

You guys are right I'm not going to gain a lot. I was just wanting to be shooting as level as I could be, but I don't plan on getting up to 310 really or nothin close. I just want to do as much as I can within my poundage to get a nice level trajectory. If it's not going to make a huge diff. I'm really not going to worry so much about it, I can shoot it quite well now, grouping 1" @ 20 and 30 yards, and that's good enough for me. I didn't think faster=more accurate, actually the opposite, but hey it'd be more challenging, and btw this isn't my hunting bow so w/e. Anyways, thanks for all the replies.

jmac_or 03-23-2006 07:48 PM

If your bow has 60-70# limbs, and you are shooting a few times a week, increase the poundage by 1/4 to 1/2 turn every week or two. Many will go over 70#'s by a few. You will not really notice the increase in draw weight and you will gain speed, without changing much else. Since you are just playing, it might be fun to see what you can get.

JMAC